How do we list a 401k partial rollover for tax purposes? 1 Answers as of February 02, 2011

My girlfriend did a partial rollover of her 401k from one company to another. She had a check issued to her for $1500 and the other check was issued to the company she was rolling over to. The W2 just shows a total distribution and does not portion it out. How do we list this on a 1040ez form, and on state taxes?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You probably should not use a 1040EZ. On the Form 1040, first page, there is a line item to report the total amount distributed, line 15a, and then a second line, line 15b, to report the taxable portion. Depending on the state this amount may or may not be taxable income.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: