How do we go about getting the money that was awarded to us? 7 Answers as of January 06, 2014

We won a ruling by default against a used car dealer. How do we go about getting the money that was awarded to us, it's been almost 2 years.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
The sheriff can enforce your judgment.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/6/2014
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
You would need to do several things. There is a form called an information subpoena you need to fill out and serve on the debtor. The debtor is required to answer the questions and of they do not they face arrest. You can also go to the court and request the court officer enforce the judgment He will information from you to levy against the debtor.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 1/6/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Debt collection is an often complex process and you probably should at least consult an attorney. The judgment is a lien on any Real estate in the county where judgment entered for 10 years from date of judgment.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/6/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
you have to find its accounts and garnish the accounts..this could be through a creditors exam or if you know the bank a direct garnishment to the bank Collecting a judgment can be the hard part.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/6/2014
Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
As you're learning, obtaining a judgment and actually getting paid are two separate and distinct things. There are a number of post-judgment actions you could take to attempt to collect. Best to speak with an attorney because it is not necessarily something a lay person can navigate alone.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/6/2014
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    Your initial judgment is good for 6 years. If this is a business as opposed to an individual, you might want to gain info by getting an Order of Examination. This will provide you with accounts you can then garnish if the debtor is unwilling to pay you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/6/2014
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    You need to issue a citation to discover assets to someone that holds an asset of the dealer. If you know where the dealer banks, issue the citation to the bank. If you wrote a check to the dealer, get a complete copy (including reverse) and see where it was deposited. If you do not know where the dealer banks, issue a citation to the dealer, requiring them to appear and answer questions about their assets.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/6/2014
Click to View More Answers: