How do we choose a reputable tax attorney? 4 Answers as of May 19, 2011

How do we select a reputable tax attorney, who is trustworthy?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
By reputation. Your cpa or tax return preparer may have a referral.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
It is always a good idea to talk to people. A good course of action would be to get a recommendation from your accountant or friends or in some other way get a better feel for that attorney. For example, at my website, I provide client recommendations to give the public an idea of what my clients think of my service. Once you have a recommendation and have researched the lawyer by looking at their website, then call them and spend some time getting to know them to see if you have a comfort level with that attorney. Most good attorneys understand how important it is to establish and maintain client rapport and teamwork in reaching client goals.
California's Largest Family of Attorneys
California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
It's important that they are an Enrolled Agent, federally licensed by the IRS. Enrolled Agents are required to pass a written examination demonstrating special competence in tax matters (or to have worked at the IRS for at least five years). The IRS requires all Enrolled Agents pass a stringent application process including a background check before a license is earned. In order to maintain the license, the IRS requires each agent to complete continuing professional education hours. This, among client testimonials, is very important when selecting a reputable tax attorney.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
Good question! Talk to people who have used the atty. Talk to the attorney you are looking at. Read their history. Then follow your gut!