How do patent laws affect drug development in the pharmaceutical industry? 3 Answers as of December 11, 2010

How do patent laws affect drug development in the pharmaceutical industry?

DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
This is an excellent question that pertains to patenting policy rather than patenting practice, and there is really no simple answer. The patent laws and regulations indeed can affect drug development as much as the health and safety laws and regulations of a country. If you can be a more specific in your questions concerning a particular aspect of patent law, drug development, or the pharmaceutical industry, I'll be glad to discuss the matter further with you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
Oh my goodness, that question is much too broad to answer in an email. It is like asking how do federal and state laws affect business, or how do drugs affect health. The correct answer is that all the various factors of patent law come into play, including for example, what is/is not patentable subject matter, anticipation, obviousness, written description, best mode, enablement, patent term extensions, and so forth. You'll need to make the question much more specific.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Quite nicely!