How do I withdraw a dropped charge? 6 Answers as of February 16, 2015

I met with the police and had interview with them but I dropped my sexual assault allegation against my ex-boyfriend because he threatened me with indecent exposure and disclosure of our past sexual relationship to my Muslim family in case I move forward with the case. Plus, I felt embarrassed to testify in the court. Now I have regret why I did not stand for my right. I would like to know can I withdraw dropping the charges and return back to the police?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
If you need specific legal advice for your particular circumstances, I encourage you to privately consult with a lawyer. If you are charged with an offense and cannot afford to pay for your own defense, the court may appoint you an attorney payable at the public’s expense. You have a right to counsel. Ultimately, when it comes to issuing charges, it is up the prosecutor and police if they wish to proceed. While an alleged victim has a lot of input and they are a key witness, an alleged victim cannot necessarily force a prosecutor to file charges nor can they force them to drop charges; it ultimately depends on the alleged facts and whether a prosecutor believes they have sufficient proofs to proceed. Alleged witness tampering is a huge issue with sex-related charges. Any alleged witness tampering, generally speaking, should be disclosed. Multiple versions of a previous act causes a bunch of issues. Among other concerns, inconsistencies in versions may be used to attack a prosecutor's case. Further, if an alleged victim substantially changes their version of events, they could be charged with filing a false police report or other witness-related charges. If a version changes too much, a witness's credibility is substantially undermined. The prosecutor wants a witness who may provide them with credible evidence because their burden of proof is fairly high. Multiple versions/recanted testimony raises a key issue; which version, hypothetically speaking, is the truthful version. I recommend that you privately consult with a lawyer if you wish to request that the police pursue this issue now. If a police officer misinterpreted your statements, it could be the basis for criminal charges. Further, varying versions of an alleged criminal act may compromise a witness's credibility making it harder for the prosecutor to proceed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/16/2015
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Go talk to the police and tell them why you dropped the charge.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/22/2014
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Based on the fact that it seems like you were coerced via threats not to bring the case forward, you should be able to re-allege the same facts. It may be worth your while to simply call your local prosecutor and get his/her opinion as well.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/15/2014
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
It all depends if you recanted your previous statements or just requested you did not want to press charges. You have the right to talk to the police. Be upfront with them. If not happy with them, you also have right to speak with prosecutor's office.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2014
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
You would have to talk to the police again and tell them what you just stated here. They will forward the information to the prosecutor's office and they will decide if charges will be re-filed. Just keep in mind that they may determine your credibility has been too tarnished to pursue the case. You may also consider contacting the prosecutor directly.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: