How do I take care of my warrants without going to jail? 20 Answers as of February 14, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kelly & Soto Law
Kelly & Soto Law | Michael Kelly
First you need to contact a criminal defense attorney. The attorney will contact the court or courts where you have outstanding warrants. The clerk of the court will inform the attorney about the type of warrant you have and if there are upcoming court dates. The attorney can then try and argue to the judge that your warrant should be removed. Because you are aware of the warrants, it's best to resolve this type of matter as soon as possible. Generally speaking, courts like to see defendants take some initiative.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 2/14/2013
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
Depending on what the warrant is for and the amount of the bond, you could Contact the court clerk of the court where the warrant is and ask if you showed up the could you post the bond at the clerks counter. Some courts allow that under certain circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 2/13/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You retain an attorney, and pray that he can get the court dates rescheduled.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/13/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Perhaps if the court is persuaded in a motion that you had a valid reason for missing court, then it might recall the warrants. Otherwise you are supposed to surrender.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 2/13/2013
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
There are no guarantees about jail and warrants. Try using an attorney to schedule a surrender in court. You appear and maybe judge leaves you out.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/13/2013
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    Retain a good criminal lawyer to cut a plea deal with the prosecutor and the judge before he surrenders you so you dont have to sit in jail until the judge decides what will happen to you. You might still get a jail term, but that cannot be avoided in all cases. At least you have a chance at an alternate sentence like a program, fine, community service, or probation.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    You can start by hiring an attorney
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
    You need to contact the Court and find out if you need to appear or if you can post bail to the have the cases rescheduled, it may help to have a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    It depends on what the warrants are for, whether you can correct the issue before going to court, what the underlying charge was and what your lawyer can work out on your behalf.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    You need to go to the court that issued the warrant and place yourself on calendar to recall the warrant. You don't say what the warrant is for, but if it's for something relatively minor, the judge will likely recall the warrant and release you OR own recognizance, or impose an appropriate bail. A lawyer can help you do this. The other way, of course, is to wait until you are stopped someday for, say, speeding or a tail light out, and have the officer take you to jail on the warrant. The first way is better.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
    You will have to turn yourself into the court. I would advise hiring a lawyer to file a motion to quash and recall the warrants. You better have a really good reason for not appearing on these warrants before. Regardless, the court may hold you until you are able to post bond on the warrants, which hopefully will be reduced because you turned yourself in, or quash them altogether, in which case you will be set free.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    You will probably have to go to jail, at least initially, to turn yourself in and get the ball rolling unless they just let you do a walk-through arraignment without having to turn yourself in. But that's the normal course of actions on such things. You may be sentenced to jail depending on what the warrants are for, how long they have been issued, and other factors. Consult with an experienced criminal attorney in your area for a more specific answer and assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    The nature of the charges and your previous criminal history play a large part in the outcome here, but the best option that you have is surrendering yourself to the court with a good private attorney before you are picked up on the warrant. People do not hire expensive private lawyers to flee. My best argument to the judge for you would be, Judge, Mr.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Sometimes there is bail that could be posted to satisfy the conditions of release prior to your upcoming court date.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    You get an attorney go into the court with that person and surrender on the warrants. Doing that maximizes your chances of walking back out of the court house.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    You may not be able to.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/13/2013
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    It really depends on the the type of warrants. Some warrants you just need to pay your fines or appear in court and a judge will withdraw them. Other warrants, you are not going to be able to avoid jail time. Hire a lawyer to help you, if you are worried about jail time.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 2/13/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney