How do I sue my employer for discriminating against someone with a handicap? 4 Answers as of July 30, 2011

I was laid off siting my position is no longer available but just found out they hired another person for the same position. I was handicapped because I broke my hand and also had a hernia surgery in a month which affected my work efficiency. I think I was laid of due to discrimination. Do I have a case and if so how do I sue them?

Carnes Law Firm
Carnes Law Firm | William J. Carnes
tutes and common law causes of action that you might wish to pursue in order to best serve your interests. These include, but are not limited to the following: breach of contract, oral and written, misrepresentation, negligent or otherwise, fraud, defamation, libel, battery, assault, slander, intentional infliction of emotional distress, workers' compensation retaliation, interference with an advantageous business relationship, negligent hiring, negligent retention, discrimination, claims or rights under state and federal whistle blower legislation including Sections 448.101-448.105, Fla. Stat., claims or rights under the Family Medical Leave Act ("FMLA"), Fair Labor Standards Act ("FLSA"), as amended, the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act ("COBRA"), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (` ERISA") of 1974, as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act ("ADEA"), the Equal Pay Act ("EPA"), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ("Title VII"), as amended, the Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992 ("FCRA") Fla. Stat Chapter 760. There are one or more statutes of limitation for these causes of action. If you wish to pursue a claim, you must file the complaint prior to the end of the limitation period, or the claim will be barred. Many statutory violations have to be initiated through the proper administrative agency which is frequently the EEOC office and/or the Florida Commission on Human Relations. If you feel that your rights under these laws have been violated, I encourage you to seek redress with the proper agency as soon as possible. These have reduced periods of time during which an action can be commenced, or the cause action will be barred if not timely commenced. Please remember that many, but not all, federal discrimination claims must be filed appropriately within three hundred (300) days after the alleged act(s) of discriminatory conduct. Many, but not all, state claims of discrimination must be filed within three hundred sixty-five (365) days after the alleged act(s) of discrimination. The statute of limitations may be less or greater for other causes of action. While the EEOC/Commission on Human Relations administrative process can operate without the assistance of a private attorney, you may wish to retain private counsel to assist you in filing a claim. A privately retained attorney can assist in investigating the claim, recognizing the issues, identifying the defendants and drafting the charges. It is important to remember, however, that you must file the charges in a timely manner or the action will be barred. The date of these occurrences is very important and should be determined in order to avoid the statute of limitations. Unfortunately, this firm cannot render a competent legal opinion based on an unsolicited factual scenario. Your query requires more facts to allow for proper consideration by an attorney. A consultation with an attorney at this office frequently requires more than two hours of the attorney's time to complete. The attorney and the client meet to discuss the facts and review any documentation. We conduct a general discussion of the law, and the attorney advises the client of the options the client may wish to consider. After the consultation, the attorney reviews the notes, researches the law, if necessary, and drafts a summary follow-up letter to the prospective client. During our consultation, we may discuss, among other things, the general nature of employment law in Florida, statutory discrimination claims, unemployment compensation benefits and claims strategy, workers' compensation benefits and filing requirements, common law causes of action, severance benefits, contractual considerations, benefit continuation considerations and the administrative procedural requirements for filing a discrimination claim against an employer. Should you decide to pursue this matter, it is important to remember that you will have the burden of proving your case. You must provide the witnesses and other evidence, direct and circumstantial, necessary to prove the elements of the specific charge against your employer. I urge you to do what is necessary to make a sound decision on whether to pursue or to abandon your case. The above is not a legal opinion and cannot be relied upon as such. There is no attorney-client relationship created by responding to this inquiry. Should you wish to get a legal opinion upon which you can rely, the only way is to hire an experienced employment attorney in your local area who can get all of the facts, research the law and explain your options to you.
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
You must file a complaint either with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries or the US Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, and you must do so within 180 or 270 days, depending on where you file. You should contact a lawyer first, however, so that he or she can help you fill out the forms.
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
I can't tell you whether you will win a case of handicap discrimination, but i can tell you that regardless of what else you do, you must file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC or the Florida Commission on Human Relations (the EEOC is the better choice) and wait six months for which ever agency investigates the charge before you can go to court. so do that first and don't wait because the longer you wait the longer you will have to wait to go to court.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
You should first contact the federal EEOC and/or your State's fair employment agency to file a complaint based on your handicap. If this administrative process ius unsuccessful, then you may litigate the employment handicap matter in federal orstate court.