How do I sue a family for child abuse? 16 Answers as of February 20, 2012

A man in prison has been convicted. He owes money now. His family and this man own property that they are selling or have sold. Who do I contact to sue? The family knew he was a predator. 2 other victims came forward. How do I hold everyone liable. I need a lawyer, I dont know what kind.

You need to be a bit more specific about the type of difficulty. However, sounds as if some person was sexually assaulted and would like to sue for damages. IF THAT IS THE CASE, SEE A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY.
Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
Any lawyer who handles personal injury cases should be able to help you.
The facts are not clear. You mean the man has abused a child, has been convicted of such, and has property. If so you can sue him on behalf of the child and get a judgment against him which will attach to his property. Any lawyer with civil litigation experience should be able to help.
You can file a lawsuit against the predator and use the conviction as proof of his guilt. You may have a statute of limitations problem, though, depending on when the abuse took place. Once you have a judgment, collecting on it is another matter. As for family members, you can only go after them if they took an active role in commiting the abuse, just knowing about it isn't enough.
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
Find a personal injury attorney that has handled child abuse cases. The conviction can be used against the convict. You may have an uphill battle against the convicts family, depending on what they actually knew.
    You need a lawyer who works on personal injury cases.
    A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C.
    A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C. | Dan Woska
    Child abuse and the results it often leads to is a particularly horrendous thing. The law, however, does not provide that any person offended by child abuse can just start filing lawsuits against people. The parties must be involved in an accident or a bad act or as relatives. The question becomes who has the right to bring a claim. In addition, while not always true, most child abusers are often statistically locked into poverty with little education. If you wanted to sue the abuser and were determined to have standing, what will be the result if you get a $5.000, 0000 judgments but the abuser has no assets and the ability to recover damages is not possible. I submit that I do not know a single contingency fee lawyers who believes all claims must be filed. In instances of a defendant's lack of assets to pay on the judgment the lawyer who works the whole case puts in 1500 hours to work it up, go to trial and appeal. If there is no recovery the lawyer has made no income and in most instances has paid for experts and exhibits out of his own pocket which also go unrecovered without a money source. If you want to sue someone about the child abuse make an appointment with a personal injury or tort lawyer, explain your thoughts and see what you find out.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    This would be civil suit. If the man is entitled to proceeds from the sales, you can file suit for the abuse and attempt to attach the assets. Holding the family responsible will be more difficult. Our office can advise on these issues.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    You should look for a lawyer in your area that represents crime victims and victims of sexual assault. If you enter that in Google you should find someone who specializes in this area of law. You should also be able to contact the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service and they will refer you to an attorney who will consult with you for $35 or less. Most lawyers who handle these cases will consult with you for free.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    A personal injury lawyer should be able to help you. It may be difficult to hold the family responsible for the criminal acts of the perpetrator, but if they helped him in some way or put children at risk, you may be able to do so.
    You need a civil lawyer. The conviction establishes the civil liability.
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC | Richard Copeland
    You need a personal injury attorney. The attorney you call will need a great deal of information that you haven't been able to provide in this format. Your case and the potential for recovery are both complex, and an office visit with a personal injury attorney is in order. I would plan on spending several hours there.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You should immediately call a Personal Injury attorney. If you don't act before the land is sold, you may not be able to collect anything.