How do I sue a drunk driver who parked her car facing east in my westbound lane? 59 Answers as of July 11, 2013

A drunk driver was heading eastbound in the westbound lane on the highway. She hit a car head on which sent his vehicle backwards through the median into the eastbound lanes. She then left her car parked in the westbound lanes facing east with no headlights on and tried running. This accident must've happened only minutes before I came across her car in my lane at 2:30am. By the time I saw her car it was too late and hit it head on at 75mph, I'm lucky to be alive. My car was obviously totaled and I suffered a sprained neck, back and contusions on my neck, back, face, arms, chest and stomach. Everyone was injured but her and this is her 2nd DUI. So my question is should I hire an attorney or go after her insurance or go after her personally?

The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
Yes, you need to contact an attorney. You should also get a copy of the accident report to see how it was written by the investigating officer. You should definitely pursue the defendant's insurance as well.
Hire a lawyer and go after her insurance, if it is not enough, then go after her personally if she owns anything.
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
You may file a lawsuit against the drunk driver, but it sounds like the driver did not have insurance. So, a lawsuit against the driver may prove fruitless. If you have your own underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage, that may be the best claim to make. A good personal injury lawyer will know how to handle this type of claim.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Lapin Law Offices
Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
Between your Question and Question Detail you ask 3 questions, which I will address separately. I am not addressing the facts of your accident, the drunk driver's fault or what your case is worth as you do not ask about those items. In addition, you do not provide enough information for me to answer questons regarding these items. Question 1: How do I sue a drunk driver who parked her car facing east in my westbound lane? To initiate a lawsuit you file a complaint against the drunk driver. You have her served with a copy of the complaint and a summons. There are a number of additional steps before going to trial but their explanation is beyond my ability to answer here. Question 2: Should you go after the drunk driver or her insurance company? Technically, you would always be going after the drunk driver. However, her insurance company will handle the claim, pay, depending on what your case is worth, you up to the drunk driver's Liability/ Bodily Injury coverage limits. They will also hire an attorney to defend her if you file a lawsuit. In almost all situations, you sue the at-fault driver; you cannot sue their insurance company. There are very few situations in which you could sue her insurance company. One would be if she filed for bankruptcy. Question 3: Should you hire an attorney? That is a question you have to decide for yourself. The more difficult a case is, either because of questions about fault or injuries, the more you should consider hiring an attorney. Attorneys have more knowledge about the process, the evidence needed and the value of a case. If a lawsuit needs to be filed because you cannot get it settled for an amount you consider is fair, you also should strongly consider hiring an attorney as the insurance company will hire an attorney for the at-fault driver. You would be at a significant disadvantage handling your own case against an attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation so you may want to contact one to learn more about your rights and what he or she can do for you.
You should hire an attorney and pursue her and her insurance.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    Retain an attorney to file the lawsuit.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    You're responsible for your damages. You didn't have YOUR CAR UNDER CONTROL. If driving 75 mph THAT WAS TOOOO FAST for the conditions. Your insurance company may "punish" you by speeding and causing the accident.
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    If you go try to after her personally her insurance company will defend her anyway; that's what the coverage is for. She's still personally liable for any damages in excess of her insurance coverage, and she'll probably be required to pay restitution as a condition of probation if she doesn't want to go to jail. That said, however, most DWI defendants don't have piles of money lying around to pay judgments with, and what you get from her insurance carrier is about all you can count on getting. You should get a lawyer yesterday. It won't cost you money; it will make you money. Without a lawyer you will not get her insurer to pay you the true value of your case.
    Reeves Aiken & Hightower | Arthur K. Aiken
    This is a very serious case. You need to get a lawyer to analyze all of the issues and to advise you.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Its easy if you have the expertise and cahones.
    In order to sue for being injured in a car accident you have to sustain a "serious injury" which includes death, dismemberment, a broken bone, loss of a fetus, significant disfigurement and certain other specific kinds of lesser injuries including being disabled for at least ninety of the first one hundred and eighty days following the accident. It doesn't sound to me like you make it.
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Hire an attorney and do what the attorney suggests.
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    You should hire a qualified and experienced injury attorney to pursue a claim for all your injuries, damages and losses caused by this drunk driver. A good injury lawyer will pursue any and all avenues of financial recovery, including her insurance and/or personal assets, any UIM insurance you may have on your insurance policy, and any restitution which may be ordered from the county which prosecutes her DUI case. An injury lawyer will also make sure all health insurance and/or medical payments coverage (this is on an auto insurance policy) covers your medical care as well. Finally, any and all sources of liability should be examined as well. For example, while she is obviously liable for most/all of the damages, there are potential other third parties who could be at fault (the bar or private party where she got drunk if applicable, roadway design, emergency personnel for not moving the vehicle or setting up cones, flashers, etc., and potential others). But yes, you should hire a personal injury attorney for this situation.
    The Phillips Law Firm
    The Phillips Law Firm | Joseph J Ganz
    Engage a good personal injury lawyer.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    You need to retain an attorney.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Same thing. Hope she has insurance.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Why not get a lawyer and avoid worrying.
    Durkin & Graham, P.C.
    Durkin & Graham, P.C. | Joan Durkin
    You sue her which automatically brings her insurance into the picture. Odds are with a prior DWI that she has only minimum policy limits so you would end up having to file a claim on your own underinsured policy (if you have that coverage). Short answer is YES, you need a lawyer and you need to file with victims assistance as well and make sure that you are listed as a victim so that the DA has to contact you before any deals.
    Buchholdt Law Offices | Jon M. Buchholdt
    Yes. Hire a personal injury attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
    You should hire an attorney. The attorney will file suit against the driver and the payment will be made by the insurance company. If there is no insurance or the insurance company denies coverage then you should notify your insurance company and proceed with a claim for underinsured or uninsured coverage. By all means hire a lawyer.
    Law Offices of Tom Patton
    Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
    Sounds like you need to at least consult with an attorney. They can advise you whether to proceed alone, or with an attorney. But in nearly every case, you will receive far more compensation if you hire a personal injury attorney, even after the 1/3 attorney fee. That is because an attorney can obtain so much more from the insurance company than you can alone.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Yes you should hire an attorney because not only will you have a claim against her, but the car's owner and possibly the bar that served her.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Paris Blank LLP
    Paris Blank LLP | Irving M Blank
    You need to get an experienced Personal Injury Attorney ASAP.
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
    It appears that the defendant's attorney can assert that the collision would not have happened without your negligence: the defendant's car was stationary, and you hit it because you did not see it in time (the language the defendant's/insurance company's attorney will use will be "not paying attention to the road while driving at excessive speed"). It does not matter whether this argument is fair or a total BS, your opponent will milk it dry - and might convince the court. Depending on where the accident occurred, in New York or in New Jersey or Connecticut, your negligence might reduce the damages you can recover or, if the jury finds you >51% at fault, bar any recovery. When you "go after" the person who caused you harm, in effect, you go after her insurance company; and you can be sure that the insurance company will have an attorney defending it's money. So, even in a clear cut case, getting a decent settlement is not a do-it-yourself project. Under your circumstances, retaining an attorney as soon as possible seems like a very good idea.
    You should hire an attorney and most probably you after her. She and her insurance company are the same, just hope she is collectable.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    You should have a lawyer. Contact her insurance company first.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    In any lawsuit, involving a motor vehicle you sue the individual but if there is insurance, the insurance company will defend the insured. Your lawsuit would be against her, but the case will be settled or defended by the insurance company. You should contact an attorney to discuss this matter further.
    Law Offices of David W. Hibbert
    Law Offices of David W. Hibbert | David W. Hibbert
    Sounds like you were speeding at 75mph. Get yourself an attorney in your state to review the matter. Some states will have your own contributory negligence as a bar to recovery.
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    You need to get an attorney. The DUI driver may not have had enough insurance coverage, and your UM carrier may have to be served and brought into your injury suit.
    NOLAN LAW LLC | Joshua J. Nolan
    You should consult with an attorney. Although you have the right to try to negotiate a settlement with her insurance company on your own, a trained professional can help you maximize your settlement.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Your case presents a number of complex issues. I will believe the other driver will be found at fault based on the facts you present. He insurance may try to deny coverage or there may be limitation problems based on the fact that there is another injured party who will also be bringing a clam. You will have to file a complicated set of motions to try to attached personal property is there is any. You clearly need an atty to help you steer thru this as well as guiding your treatment in the best way for this case. The insurance company will not pay full value when you are not represented by a lawyer who can properly pursue litigation if the case doesn't settle.
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    You would not do surgery on yourself and it will be impossible for you to obtain full value on your claim without hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer.
    You should hire an attorney. The attorney will make a claim, and if coverage is in place, the insurance company will foot the bill.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    You would be wise to seek the advise of an attorney. As for your vehicle damage, Michigan is a no-fault state so you would have to file a claim with your insurance company for vehicle damage. If you suffered a serious impairment of a bodily function or serious permanent disfigurement, you could file a claim agsinst her. An attorney would be able to help you with this.
    Craig Kelley & Faultless
    Craig Kelley & Faultless | David W. Craig
    You should immediately hire an injury attorney. There are numerous legal issues that should be addressed by someone who is experienced with handling these type of cases. Most injury attorneys will meet with you initially at no cost and will not charge a fee until you make a recovery.
    Law Offices of David M. Blain
    Law Offices of David M. Blain | David Blain
    Yes, you should hire an attorney to handle this matter for you. Personal injury attorneys handle these types of cases on a contingency fee basis, which means they pay the costs of the lawsuit and are only reimbursed these costs and paid their fee once they have obtained a settlement, verdict or award in your favor. If they fail to achieve such a reward then you don't pay a dime.
    Holzer Edwards
    Holzer Edwards | Kurt Holzer
    YOU need an attorney for many reasons.
    Kuhn Firm LLC
    Kuhn Firm LLC | Kevin J. Kuhn
    Yes. You should hire an attorney. Be aware, however, that someone like this may not have insurance, and if she does, her limits probably will not be enough to cover all of the damages she caused. As such, you may end up needing to make an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim under your own auto policy.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    The bright side is that you're alive and able to ask these questions. You have several options in terms of seeking recovery. You can sue the other driver and seek insurance recovery. Hopefully you had coverage known as uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, because I?m guessing that the other driver had minimum limits. I am currently representing two victims of a drunk driver accident case, also involving a defendant with 2 DUIs. So your scenario sounds all too familiar. Consider hiring an attorney.
    Law Office of Anthony Roach | Anthony Allen Roach
    You failed to avoid an object in the roadway. You are also negligent.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    Contact an experienced personal injury attorney immediately for a free consultation. I do not advise that you do this alone. The Insurance Research Council has found that, on average, a person represented receives 40% more in their pocket when their claim resolves.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C. | Tanya Gendelman, Esq.
    You need to hire an attorney to preserve your rights.
    You are not permitted to drive 75 mph in North Carolina. The insurance company will likely deny your claim and say it was your fault the collision occurred. You better get a good lawyer to do all the things you say you want to do to her. She is an idiot but if you are at fault also you may come up short. The insurance carrier will certainly say so.
    Ricks & Associates | Kenneth R. Ricks
    Going after the drunk driver personally will/should activate her insurance; you don't have to choose between her or her insurance. Yes, hire an attorney.
    Timiney Law Firm
    Timiney Law Firm | Leigh Anne Timiney
    I am very sorry this happened to you. Yes, you are lucky to be alive. She is clearly liable for your damages and injuries. I would strongly suggest that you contact an attorney who specializes in personal injury and obtain a consultation. Attempting to handle a personal injury case on your own can be difficult, time consuming and frustrating. Our firm handles personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning no out of pocket legal fees for you until your case is settled.
    You cannot "go after" her insurance. The carrier was 1) not negligent and 2) owes you no duty of care. The situation wth the drunk is different. Assume tht she has been Id per post. You may file a civil suit . She would be a defendant as would the owner of the car. Suggest that you hire counsel. I suspect that there are criminal charges pendng. Restitution is covered, to a certain extent, in criminal cases (no pain and suffering or othe non economic damages). You will want some one who understands the interplay.
    Hal Whiteman | Hal Whiteman
    It would be a claim against her insurance carrier. You would need to find out her limits of liability insurance and compare those to any UM insurance you have. You need to hire an attorney for this ASAP.
    Rags Beals Seigler Patterson & Gray
    Rags Beals Seigler Patterson & Gray | Ronald D. Reemsnyder
    You have no right to go after another person's insurance. If you wish to pursue a claim it must be against the person who was DUI which should prompt that person's insurer to get involved. An attorney can help you file a lawsuit.
    Pearson, Butler, & Carson, PLLC
    Pearson, Butler, & Carson, PLLC | Matthew R. Kober
    You should hire a qualified personal injury attorney. There are special rules involving alcohol related accidents. You should be able to collect from her insurance and if that is not enough you can sue her personally.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    You should definite hire an attorney and go after her insurance.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    You should hire a lawyer. She may not have insurance and if she has a criminal record. If you get a judgment against her and if she has insurance they will have to pay up to their limits and if she doesn't have insurance you may have a hard time ever collecting but you can ask the criminal court to require her to make restitution if you submit your bills. By getting a judgment against her however she will not be able to get a license and that would be a good thing.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    First, go after her insurance company as she may not have enoughs funds to properly compensate you. I almost always advise accident victims to hire an attorney, especially when injured. Studies conducted by Allstate and other insurance companies indicate that the insurance company will pay 2 to 3 times more money when the accident victim is represent by an attorney.
    Goodgame Law, LLC
    Goodgame Law, LLC | Jeffrey L Goodgame
    Definitely procure a personal injury attorney to represent you in this matter. Do not give a statement to her insurance company and do not sign anything from her insurance company.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney