How do I stop paying my child support after I lost my job? 12 Answers as of June 22, 2015

How do I stop paying or reduce my child support after I lost my job?

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
You will have to file a motion to modify (reduce) the child support in the Court that issued the Order. There are forms online at the Family Court's website to assist you. If you don't file the motion, you will still be obligated to pay child support at the same amount regardless of your loss of job or income.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You don't. Every month you don't pay, the debt becomes a judgment. To change the amount of support, you must file a modification.
Immediately file and serve a request for order to modify support.
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Whenever there is a reason to either increase or decrease the sum owed as child support, you would file a motion to modify child support in the court case. Depending upon the reason why you lost your job, etc, you may or may not prevail. If you should find another job paying less etc., the court might grant a reduction. Good luck.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
You need to file a petition for a reduction of support based upon losing your job. Make sure you can show that it was not your fault you lost your job and you are doing everything in your power to get a new job.
    Most people would file a motion to amend the judgment in the court which granted the divorce. Having a lawyer help is almost always a good idea. The court might reduce your payments; it also might let you hold off of making payments for a period of months, but allow an arrearage to build up, which you will have to catch up on later.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    You have to file a motion for modification of child support. If granted by the court, the reduced amount will be retroactive to the date you filed the motion. However, until the judge grants a reduction, you are still under court order to pay the amount of hold support stated in the judgment.
    File a motion to modify.
    File for relief with the FOC immediately, the change will NOT be retroactive.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You have to either come to an agreement with the custodial parent or file an application with the court.
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    You have to file a request for order re modification of child support.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You must file a motion to modify support and serve the other party. Then it is up to the court whether your support is reduced.