How do I stop an Earnings Withholding Order 1 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I have been given a copy of a EWO for a judgment on an eviction. I can't survive on my income if they take out 25% of disposable earnings. How can I fight this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
The way you fight it is by filing a Claim of Exemption. The forms should have been given to you with the garnishment. You have to fill out the financials showing you need most if not all of your take home for food, clothing, shelter and transportation. You file the documents with the court and schedule a hearing on your claim of exemption. There are strict time limits set forth in the papers, so make sure to follow them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: