How do I sponsor a married sibling? 6 Answers as of November 07, 2013

I am US Citizen. I want to sponsor my sister here as a permanent resident. How do I sponsor a married sibling? Do I need to file extra form and pay fees for his/her spouse? I know, I need to file i130 and $420 fees attached with it. But, do I need to file a separate form for her husband? Do I need to pay fee for her husband too?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
No, you just file one petition for your sibling and your sibling's spouse and children under 21 will be included in that petition. However, you should know that sibling of US citizen petitions take about 10-12 years before a visa is available so it is going to be a while.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/7/2013
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
In this case, you need to file only one Form I-130 for your sister. As a US citizen, that petition is in the Fourth family preference category, and with it, your sister, her husband and all children under 21 years can all come to the US when the petition is approved and current. Because, petitions in that category are perennially oversubscribed, note that if filed today, it will become current for at least 12 years or 2025 at the earliest. If your situation is such that your sisters' family wishes to come the US much earlier, you must consult with an experienced immigration attorney for consideration of faster immigration options for her.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/28/2013
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
You can only file for your sister. When her turn in line comes close (9 to 10 years) her husband will be able to file for an immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/25/2013
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
You can file an I-130 visa petition, but it will be many years before they can apply for permanent residence. Because the 4th preference may be ending if a new law passes, you should file the petition now. You cannot file a petition for her husband, but if and when she is eligible to apply for permanent residence, her husband may be able to file with her.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/25/2013
Rickie Emmanuel Ibe, P.C. | Rickie Ibe
No, simply file the I-130 for your sister and include her spouse and children (if any) on the same form. The processing time is about 10 years or more.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/25/2013
Click to View More Answers: