How do I secure a utility patent for my idea? 3 Answers as of August 13, 2011

I have developed a product in the dental field. I do not have the resources nor knowledge to secure patent. It would be a utility patent I believe. If I am able to get utility patent or temporary patent, this idea could be developed and marketed independent or sold directly to health firm with distribution channels in place. I am looking , ideally, to partner with a patent atty my idea with attorneys knowledge and patent work split equitably the revenue generated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Most patent attorneys do not work on a contingent fee basis, but you can certainly make some calls around town.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 8/13/2011
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
In all honesty everyone wants a patent for free probably of the potential clients I meet want me to write a patent for them and then they will give me a percentage of their profits from their invention later. Most don't have a clue about how to make, market or sell their invention. Studies show less than 1% of all patents make any money. The reason is not because the ideas are not good the reason is because it takes time, money, knowledge and experience to take an idea from paper and turn it into a money making venture. Very, very few of the inventors I have dealt with can do this. Good luck in finding a patent attorney that will work for free.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/19/2011
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You need to apply for a patent within one year of the date that you first sought assistance from someone in developing the product. Further, you probably need to seek patent protection in several countries. This means someone will have to devote substantial resources toward this project. Respectfully, legitimate patent attorneys or patent agents do not "partner up" with someone in your position unless funding is available to pay for their time and efforts. You essentially are asking for an attorney to provide free legal work. This is not a productive or viable way for you to proceed for many reasons. Here is the problem
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: