How do I request for appointed lawyer and request it be the one I want? 12 Answers as of March 11, 2013

I want a court appointed lawyer, but I have the name of the lawyer I want and he is not in my county. He has said he will take the case as private or as court appointed. How do I get them to choose him? Please help. I am a low income house hold as well.

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
The court will appoint an attorney or you will get a Legal Aid lawyer but you will not be able to choose your lawyer. Many "18b" assigned lawyer are private lawyer with a great deal of experience who take assigned cases occasionally and many of the Legal Aid lawyers are also talented criminal lawyers who are in those courts in front of those judges every day.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Only if his name is on the court appointed list for a particular county can he be appointed, generally. Usually defendants do not have pick of attorney when court appointed.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You do not get to choose who is appointed to represent you. That is one of the worst parts of court appointed lawyers. There are many very good lawyers who take indigent clients, but you do not get to choose who you want. The only way to do that is to hire the person privately.
Cannot ask for a particular attorney. Otherwise tell the court that you cannot afford counsel and request one be appointed.
You can't. You get them at random.
    You don't get to pick your Court appointed attorney.
    You ask the judge and he or she may do i but they may also say that you have no choice if the lawyer is appointed.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Generally you have no right to choose a particular court appointed attorney.
    Ask the court.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    You may not do both. If you would like the lawyer of your choice, then you have to hire that person. If you cannot afford an attorney, then apply to the office of the public defender for an appointed one. A person does not have the right to choose an appointed attorney.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    You cannot specify which attorney you want if you ask for a court-appointed attorney. That's not the way it works. If you want that specific attorney, then you will need to pay him or just hope that you get him as court-appointed.
    Edward D. Flint  PLLC
    Edward D. Flint PLLC | Edward D. Flint
    You don't usually get to choose, but are assigned a lawyer from the public defender office or one who has a contract for that court.