How do I request financials for my grandmothers estate? 6 Answers as of June 21, 2011

My family owns apartments now since my grandmother died and she left it to three of us and then grandmas brother owns the other half. My aunt recently gave my grandmas brother and they are now the directors while my other aunt and me are only shareholders. They refuse to show us the financial. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
Please contact an attorney to assist you in demanding an "accounting" from the Directors.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 6/21/2011
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
Contact a lawyer right away. What you describe doesn't sound good to me.As a shareholder, you are entitled to review the books and financial records. If they won't offer them after receiving a lawyer's letter, then you may have to go to court to see what's going on and perhaps take over the whole thing yourself. You'll need a lawyer to do all that. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/20/2011
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Go to your local probate court and open an administration on your grandmother;s estate if it has not already been done. Also, you should seek legal advice and assistance from an attorney who handles probate law.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 6/20/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
You get a lawyer to review the paperwork, determine what rights you have to information and then have him request the information.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/17/2011
MRM Law Offices
MRM Law Offices | Matthew Miller
Request an accounting of your grandmother estate. If they do not give it to you file a request for an accounting at the probate court.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: