How do I remove a felony from my juvenile record that is repealed? 4 Answers as of November 20, 2013

In 2008, I was arrested for the first and last time ever as a juvenile. I was charged with one felony. Never been convicted or sent to any prison. Two years later, I filed to have my record expunged and found out that the law that I broke had been repealed. Is it possible to have this wiped off of my record and destroyed?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
It was a crime when you committed it, therefore it remains a crime for you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/20/2013
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
You don't say how your expungement effort was resolved. The fact that the statute you violated has since been repealed does not mean that your juvenile conviction was invalid. It might, however, make it easier to obtain an expungement of the juvenile adjudication.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 11/19/2013
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
It depends on how the law was written and if there is a retroactive remedy contained in the legislation. It will all depend on what the conviction is and how the repeal is written. You should have your record reviewed by an experienced Michigan expungement attorney to see if it can be set aside. Otherwise, you will have to wait until you are 24 and apply to have it expunged or set aside.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/19/2013
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Your Juvenile records do appear on your criminal record. Upon your 18th birthday, you are eligible to petition to have your juvenile records sealed. Once sealed, no one can gain access to them and they will be completely destroyed five years from the date of sealing. Juvenile records are not automatically sealed upon your 18th birthday. You must affirmatively petition the juvenile court to have them sealed. You can do this by filing out a form and filing it with the juvenile court in the county in which you were convicted. Contact the juvenile court in the county you were convicted, and ask them to send you a copy of the form used in that county. Check to see if they have any special filing requirements such as additional photocopies or the need to serve copies of the petition on any government agencies, and get the correct information for filing by mail. Usually, there is no fee.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/19/2013
Click to View More Answers: