How do I remove a dismissed bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of March 25, 2015

After receiving "bad" legal advice, I was convinced by an attorney to file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in 2012. After my first court appearance, I reached back out to the attorney and told him I was not interested in proceeding. A few months later, the case was dismissed. Is there any way to have the case vacated completely? How would one go about doing that? I know a motion to vacate can be filed in order to reapply, but what about vacating and not refiling? Thanks in advance!

When an order or other action is vacated, it doesn't cease to exist; it merely is no longer effective. There is nothing you can do to have the bankruptcy court expunge your case as if it never happened.
Tokarska Law Center
Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
You can't get it removed. There is no way to un-file a case.
The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC
The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC | Ryan Beach
Unfortunately, you cannot remove a bankruptcy filing from the public record.
You can not get that off your credit report, or the court record. Not possible.
I don't know of any way to have a dismissal of a Chapter 7 vacated unless perhaps it was based on a clearly proven mistake in the Court. And those are rare. In particular, if your case was dismissed for failure to comply with statutory or court-ordered duties of the debtor, there is even less likelihood that the Court would agree to vacating its decision. One piece of news: a Ch. 7 is supposed to disappear from your credit reports after 10 years. This writer does not have all the wisdom in the world. I suggest you retain an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and discuss the whole situation with him or her. Such a person may have ideas which have not occurred to me. Good Luck.
    EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
    The dismissed case will have no affect upon you filing a bankruptcy now if you wish.? You need not do anything; just file the new case.
    Never heard of "undoing" a BK filing. Sorry.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    No, there is no motion you can file that will remove the bankruptcy from the record. You filed the case, then moved to dismiss the case. That's all part of the record, and can't be changed.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    There is no such thing as vacating a bankruptcy filing. The case is dismissed so it no longer exists. However it will remain part of the public record forever.
    Confer with a bankruptcy specialist, the devil will be in the details, but it is hard to un-ring a bell.
    Once you jump off the cliff and file bankruptcy, it remains on your credit for up to 10 years. Whether or not the bankruptcy goes forward or not, the filing is what the credit bureaus report based on public records directly from the court and cannot be erased.
    John W. Lee, PC
    John W. Lee, PC | Kim A. Lewis
    No, there is no way to erase the fact that you filed bankruptcy. A motion to vacate merely vacates the dismissal order and re-opens the case.
    It can not be removed as it is factual. You filed for bankruptcy and it was dismissed. Removal is for incorrect information.
    Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
    No. Once you file, you have filed.