How do I qualify for bankruptcy? 24 Answers as of June 29, 2013

i owe 30k in credit card and loans would like to know if i quaqlify for bankruptcy have been making all my payments but continue to get into debt. Cant keep up anymore.

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You'll need to pass the means test for a Ch 7 bk. Contact a local attorney for specifics.
Burton Green, Attorney | Burton Green
You qualify for bankruptcy. Talk to an attorney.
If your debt is out of control you might want to contact a bankruptcy attorney. You also might consider a credit counselor regarding a payment plan.
As long as your income is not too high then you should qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Bankruptcy may be a good solution for you. You should consult a local bankruptcy attorney for guidance.
    Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
    Qualification depends upon income and family size, as well as debt, but it looks as though you probably qualify.
    The issue is your income, not your debt load. To see if you qualify take your last pay stub to a local lawyer (and your spouse's if you are married).
    Weber & Phillips, P.A.
    Weber & Phillips, P.A. | John G. Phillips
    Qualifying for bankruptcy can be very different from place to place due to cost of living and economic factors. In Arkansas, about 75-85% of the people who come to see me could do Chapter 7 if they want to. The other 15-25% would have to do Chapter 13 or Chapter 11. Given the words you use to describe your situation - "Can't keep up anymore" - and the debt you describe I am pretty certain that you will qualify for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. There are lots of attorneys like me that will give a free or reduced fee consultation to a new client. Find a good attorney in your area and go from there.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    You qualify for bankruptcy when you have debts which you are unable to pay for. To request bankruptcy protection, you must submit a bankruptcy petition with the bankruptcy court having jurisdiction over your place of residence through the court's ECF electronic filing system. As part of the process, you are also required to complete a credit counseling course and a finanical management course too.
    You have enough debt to file bankruptcy and qualify based on the debts you have. But you also need to qualify on income and assets. In order to file for bankruptcy, there are certain income requirements you need to meet and you also need to be able to protect your assets. Here, you don't provide any information regarding your assets in order for us to let you know if you qualify or not.
    Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
    You should speak with an attorney for a more specific answer. However, in general, if you do not have enough assets to pay your debts and/ or your current income is not enough to pay your current bills on a month to month basis, you qualify for bankruptcy.
    Bruce Plesser | Bruce Plesser
    Reduce your home mortgage.
    Saedi Law Group
    Saedi Law Group | Lorena Saedi
    In order to qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy you must meet certain income and asset requirements. This will differ depending on where you live and what your allowable budget provides. I would suggest that you set up a meeting with a bankruptcy attorney to review your finances and provide those options available.
    Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
    I expect you do "qualify for bankruptcy" but you must consider whether you want to. If you cannot keep up payments or the balances do not go down, then this might be what you need to do. Go for it, get rid of unsecured debt ( credit cards ) and be careful in the future.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Technically speaking everyone with debt in the US qualifies for bankruptcy, which chapter you'd qualify for is another question and will depend on your income and assets. You should seek professional advice.
    Connaghan Newberry Law Firm
    Connaghan Newberry Law Firm | Tara D. Newberry
    There is no limitation on the amount of debt you have. Eligibility for bankruptcy has to do with income and the type of debt, with regard to which chapter you file under, either 7 or 13 for most consumers. A qualified bankruptcy attorney will ask you numerous questions prior to or during a consultation to help advise you on the chapters that may accomplish your goal of eliminating debt.
    Neuhaus Law Office
    Neuhaus Law Office | Gregory M. Neuhaus
    Your qualification depends on your income and household size. The amount of debt isn't the determining factor.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You should consult with an attorney to determine if you qualify.
    See an attorney before you make any firm decision so that you can understand you options, benefits and detriments.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You can qualify for bankruptcy if you expenses exceed your income. You need to determine which chapter you can file. Chapter 7 is preferred when you want to get out of all of your debt but you have to qualify for it. Contact a bankruptcy attorney in your area to see if you can file a chapter 7 or if you will have to file a chapter 13. You can read my pamphlet at my website on chapter 7.
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone | Katie M. Stone
    I would suggest that you go speak to an attorney about your rights and options in bankruptcy. It is a great way to help alleviate the financial pressures you have been feeling and help you get back on your feet. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation. You have not given enough information in your email to know for certain which chapter of bankruptcy you would qualify for. Bankruptcy is a very complex area of law; however, an attorney could guide you through the process every step of the way. You want to arm yourself with as much knowledge before you make a decision. I hope you found this answer useful.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    Normally, everyone "qualifies". The important question is "should you file for bankruptcy"? Please understand that bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    You definitely qualify for Chapter 13 bankruptcy if you do not qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, most people are able to qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy with the assistance of an attorney. I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss the details of your specific situation.