How do I prove a cabbie tapped into my bumper? 5 Answers as of October 17, 2017

So I was driving and I went to pull up to an intersection. Just as I was coming to a stop,my car jerked forward lightly but definitely noticeable and I slightly let off the brake. The cab driver then started tapping his brakes like he didn't think they were working properly. I thought he would follow me, but he turned the other way. I got the first 3 digits of his plate and I know the company and I called them but they deny it because there is no damage on the van. I took pictures of the damage and it's minimal but I'm still furious he didn't try to catch up with me. I have pics of the rear of my car from last May, and you can see the differences. Any input helps!

DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
You case sounds like it has minimal value, you might consider going to Small Claims Court. But you will have a problem proving what happened. Do you have uninsured motorist coverage on your car? If you do you can report it to your company and they might pay for the repairs as a hit and run by an unknown driver.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
You need to file a police accident report and inform your insurance company.
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You still need to file a police report with the police department where the "bump" occurred. Then you are going to want to get your car looked at and find out the amount of the damage. If it is below your deductible you may or may not want to repair it. If it is above your deductible you may want to file a claim on your uninsured motorist coverage. Your insurance will then pursue the taxi driver's company. This, of course, depends upon the amount of the damage. If you decide you want to go after the taxi company yourself you will spend a great deal of time and effort to prove it so make sure it is worth your time. Good luck.
You can't prove who the driver was, so it will be an insurmountable problem.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
When your car comes into contact with another vehicle, you have a duty to make sure there is no property damage and to exchange information. Moreover, if you are looking for an insurance company to pay, you MUST have a police report. The cab driver knew of his obligation. Still, if it was such a light tap, how could there be damage? If the car was behind you, how could you know that the driver was "tapping" his brakes? If you did not pull over and signal him to do the same, how would he know there was damage and that he should stop? Given that he is NOT liable to repair any prior damage, given that you admit it was a very minimal impact, any damage attributable to the accident would be inconsequential and given that you did not make a police report, it may not be worth your time to pursue this.