How do I protect myself and my invention? 3 Answers as of March 23, 2011

A patent attorney told me that the "synergy" of my invention was patentable, but cost prohibitive for me to pursue on my own. He suggested I find a manufacturer and make a contract with them to produce and patent my invention. Is this a good idea? I have found a manufacturer. What do I do now?

DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
It is not clear if the patent attorney was telling you that your invention development expenses to prove synergy would be cost prohibitive, or that his services were cost prohibitive. But be sure to consult with that patent attorney, or another, before you make any specific disclosure of your invention, or even the problem it might solve, to that manufacturer. I believe you should prepare and file a patent application before going further with a manufacturer.
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
Consult a patent attorney regarding doing a professional patent novelty search, if you have not already done one. If you have completed a patent novelty search (a search of designs created prior to yours), ask the patent attorney to provide a fee estimate to prepare a patent application. A provisional (utility) application permits the inventor to spread the cost of preparing the patent application over a longer period of time. I suggest that my clients complete a document which I provide entitled "Inventor's Testimonial" in order to have evidence of the date of invention, for later use in Court, if necessary.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Only show it to them under a tight nondisclosure. Remember without a patent you don't own anything and cant protect your invention. It is hard to try to negotiate a sale for right you don't own.