How do I protect my own saying? 11 Answers as of September 17, 2013

I have a saying that I want to protect. I will make my own merchandise with it. I want to have sole rights to it and protect it from others trying to make money off it. How can I do that?

DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
A short "saying" or phrase is usually not protectable with a copyright. That phrase placed on a t-shirt or other merchandise is protectable with a trademark.
Usually, a saying or phrase cannot be copyrighted or trademarked. However, a unique design that incorporates the saying may be copyrightable. And if the saying comes to be identified as representing the products or services of a particular company, it may qualify as a trademark. Example: Nike has used the phrase "Just Do It" often emough that when people read or hear it, they automatically think of Nike products.
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
You should file a trademark application.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Based upon your description, your best option would be a trademark. As an example Donald Trump filed for the mark "You're Fired". You can visit the US Patent and Trademark office at USPTO.GOV, or contact a local trademark attorney who can help you to file an application.
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Federal trademark registration is a good way to protect a phrase that you want to associate with merchandise that you sell.
    Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
    You can register it as a trademark. Since you haven't used it in commerce yet, you should register for intent to use. You will need to select a class etc. and should perform a trademark search to verify that it has not already been registered.
    Mohr Intellectual Property Law
    Mohr Intellectual Property Law | Joseph Mohr
    You will want to secure a federal trademark registration directed to your saying and the merchandise you intend to associate with it.
    Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
    You should apply for a trademark you should also protect your patent application using software from powerpatent.com
    Gerald R. Black, Esq.
    Gerald R. Black, Esq. | Gerald R. Black
    For some unknown reason, as a general rule the U.S. Copyright Office refuses to issue a copyright for an advertising slogan. However, the slogan can obtain copyright protection under common law. Also, you should consider trying to obtain trademark protection for the slogan. You should seek the advise of counsel.
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    Slogans also known as "sayings" must be tied to products or services to qualify for protection as a trademark or a service mark. Slogans cannot be protected by the patent laws. Slogans cannot be protected by copyright laws. Examples "Where's the beef?" a slogan for Wendy's hamburgers in the 1990's. "Don't leave home without it" a slogan for the American Express Card still used today. "The Breakfast of Champions" a slogan for Wheaties cereal still in use today.