How do I proceed with on the job injury? 12 Answers as of February 28, 2014

I "strained" my back while positioning a patient, on Jan 14, 2014. I called my supervisor and left her a message, saying I pulled, strained or sprain my back an hour or so later. I called in 15 and 17th due to back pain. The 16th was a scheduled day off. It was several days later that I mentioned it to my supervisor. She told me she didn't hear the message. She was on a few days of vacation beginning on the 14th. That she would let the employee health nurse know as there was paperwork that had to be completed. On Jan 29 I was in the office, the employee health nurse walked over to me. She said, "A little Birdie told me you hurt your back, but you're feeling better. Do you need to see a doctor?" She then walked away without getting my answer. My back has been hurting off and on since, but getting worse when it hurts. I again called in on Feb. 17 and 19th sending an email to my supervisor, that my back was hurting and I needed to let it rest. 18th was a scheduled day off. On Feb. 20, 2014 there was a reduction in force at my work and I was laid off. I was never given any paperwork or really offered medical attention. I don't have anything in writing, other than my comment in payroll website. That my absence on Jan 15th was due to, "back strain from patient the previous day." Which my supervisor manually approves each daily entry. Is it too late to get medical attention?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Simple, just ask for permission to the doctor.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 2/28/2014
You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Get a workers compensation lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/26/2014
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
You must by email or otherwise document your injury and ask to be seen by an employer insurance doctor. If they do nothing about you can contact a lawyer. You are in the new world of MPN( member provided network) doctors that you will have to treat with . If you have more questions please feel free to call our office.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
See a workers comp lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    It is not too late in Alabama. Medical benefits are open for life. You have 2 years from the date of your injury to file a comp claim. You don't have to still be employed there to file a medical or comp claim. Call the nurse and tell her you need to see the Dr. They should get you set up with a Dr. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    File a worker's compensation claim and get the treatment you need. This is what worker's comp is for. Your supervisor should have told you that from the get-go.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    You should file a claim for medical care under Workers' Compensation with your employer. If the employer has a list of physicians to treat your condition you might have to treat with one of them for 90 days. If he does not have a list you would be free to treat with your own doctor and have the claims covered by your former employer's workers' compensation carrier. As for income benefits, you would have to have missed seven days work to receive them and this does not appear to be the case here unless you can show that the reduction in force was intended to prevent you from claiming income benefits under the law and this might be difficult to do.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    It is not too late but you need to pursue it as a worker's comp claim. There should be a procedure for alerting your employer for injuries on the job that you can follow.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    No but DO NOT WAIT! Every day that goes by makes your claim more difficult. I cannot stress too strongly that you WILL be disadvantaged if you do not hire an attorney. In Illinois, you will ALWAYS cheat yourself if your do not hire experienced counsel. You will have someone to guide you through the process AND when it is time to settle, an attorney can add value to your case IN EXCESS of his fee. So, you have fewer headaches AND you get more money. It really is a no-brainer. Find an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney here on Law QA. Attorneys on Law QA want to help you but we are not permitted to solicit your business. You must contact us.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Should not be, contact your supervisor first, KEEP all of the evidence which you have related. You have a possible worker's compensation claim. If you get no satisfaction, see an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/25/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney