How do I proceed with an international divorce? 5 Answers as of April 14, 2011

Please help. I married in Oct., 2008, in Denmark. We separated (not legally) in June, 2010. I'm American. My wife is Argentinian. We have No children, No assets. We never lived together in the U.S. while married. My wife received a tax payer ID only after we were married. We resided in SE Asia until separating. Before and for three months after marrying I lived in NY and have been living in CA since November, 2010. How can I initiate a divorce with this in mind? Thank you.

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
If she will cooperate, you can file here in California and process the divorce where you live.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
You may obtain a divorce in California once you have resided in California for 6 months, which would be May. Since your marriage is less than 5 years, if both of you consent, you could file a joint petition with the courts. Please contact our office for additional assistance.
After you have resided in California for six months and in your county for three months, you will have satisfied the residency requirements to file an action for Dissolution of Marriage (divorce). If your wife is agreeable to the divorce, you can have her served via Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt. If she isn't agreeable to the divorce, you would need to have her served in accordance with the laws of the country in which she resides - if that country is a member of the Hague Convention on Service of Process, the service would have to be done in accordance with the Hague Convention rules. If your wife has never been to the U.S., or has never resided in the U.S., she could file a Motion to contest jurisdiction in the U.S. based on lack of minimum contact, but if she doesn't file a Motion to contest jurisdiction in the U.S., you should be able to proceed to judgment.
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
Once you meet the legal residency requirements, 6 months in the state, you can file and proceed with a default if she doesn't appear.
You can file here (although you don't yet met the residency requirement for a divorce (you are one month shy). I can help you with this. If you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.