How do I proceed if I was rear-ended by a college student without insurance? 4 Answers as of April 29, 2011

I was on my way home from work when I was rear ended by a college student who was texting and driving. She damaged the trunk of my car, and my car is misaligned. She said she is no longer on her parents insurance since she moved out, but I think I can still go after them. Is this the case, or am I out of luck?

Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
It would depend if the parents owned the car. If the car was in her name only and not in the name of her parents, then they are not liable. If the car is in her parents name, they are responsible for insuring the car.
If you have uninsured motorist coverage, then turn in the claim to your insurance company, if not then sue her in small claims.
Who owns the car and entrusted it to the student? You may have to file and pursue an uninsured claim against your carrier.