How do I prepare for my green card interview if I was arrested for shoplifting? 1 Answers as of May 19, 2011

I was arrested for shoplifting and Completed pretrial diversion. How can I be prepared for my GC interview? How do I handle questions about the shoplifting? Should I admit? I have the court disposition; do I need anything else? (Marriage to a US citizen was there for 4 years on F1. Returned to native country 3 years ago)

This is information that the Consul or USCIS should already have gotten from you in your application(s). I am assuming that this is the only crime you were ever convicted of and that you either filed a waiver or that the crime fits into the "Petty Offense Exception" and that it will take care of the admissibility into the US issue for you. This is because this is a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT: in a nutshell, things that society frowns upon; it is really more complicated than that). Do not despair. Just make sure you know what is in your criminal background record; they will know. So, tell the truth. The only thing that matters is whether you were convicted. USCIS already knows what it needs to know and now they will try and make sure that you are who you say you are and figure out if you are a person that the US wants to allow as a LPR. Hopefully no felony conviction. Good luck!