How do I plea to not incriminate myself and stand behind my constitutional rights to freedom of speech and assembly? 1 Answers as of January 16, 2017

I was targeted by police and arrested during a peaceful protest march when the police blocked the road we were marching on to return to where we had started. I was forced to the ground and not given an order or chance to move, was handcuffed and held on the ground for minutes before being dragged back to a van to be detained. I was then charged with Denver Municipal offenses 38-31(a) Interference with Police Authority; 38-32 Resisting Any Police Authority; 38-86(1)(a) Sitting or lying down in the public right-of-way; and 54-55 Disobedience to police and fire department officials.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
I have handled a number of protester cases. You want to plead not guilty and defend yourself in court to make the point of why you were protesting & whether the prosecutor can prove the charges against you. Some protesters thought understand that being convicted of crimes can be a part of civil disobedience. You need to decide on your approach. Often volunteer lawyers or lawyers who agree to take less than their normal fee will represent you. If you were part of an organized group talk to the leaders to see if this is available to you.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/16/2017
Click to View More Answers: