How do I pick the right DUI attorney to represent me? 57 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I want to know how I can pick the right attorney to help for my case. How do I know if I have the right attorney?

Ask about the years of experience, membership in organization dealing with DUI defense, and last trial. You want someone who can represent you at trial and fight. You don't want someone to hold your hand and plea guilty.
You should pick an attorney experienced in DWi and that has a good reputation among attorneys and clients and above all one you feel comfortable with.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
Choose a Criminal Defense / DUI SPECIALIST, with a good REPUTATION, who is EXPERIENCED in your type of case. Choose a Lawyer you TRUST and can work with, who cares and is HARD WORKING and CREATIVE, who currently has a REASONABLE CASELOAD, so he can START IMMEDIATELY and FOCUS on your case, who has LOW OVERHEAD, and thus a COST that you can AFFORD. This case is not just any case; it's your case! You deserve the best defense from an attorney who is focused on it and works for you! Please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
Ideally, you will want to choose an attorney who is experienced with DUI law in California, who has a sufficiently small case load so that he/she can devote enough time to investigating and defending your case, and who you get along with personally. Oftentimes, trusting your gut on this is the best way to go. If you have a good feeling about a particular attorney, that is an important factor.
Nichols Law Firm
Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
It has to be an attorney who understands the law, the science and most of all, someone who makes you feel comfortable.
    Go to the DUI court and see how the attorneys do. You should tell the right one that way.
    Hiring a lawyer is a personal decision. Interview one or two, ask around, look at their websites. I have a second site with more DUI/DWI information and I welcome you to look at my info.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    One of the primary aspects of picking the right attorney is to speak to the attorney. Do you feel comfortable that he will effectively represent you? Does he communicate with you well? Does he explain your situation to you? If you do not feel comfortable in speaking with your attorney and how he communicates your case and your options that attorney may not be for you. If you feel comfortable after speaking to him, he may be the right attorney for you.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard | Randall Scott Woodard
    The answer to both questions is essentially the same regardless of the subject matter of the representation. In deciding on an attorney the first thing I would look at is his or her reputation and experience. It can be difficult to know the reputation of an attorney. If you know a person who works in the legal field that is always a good place to start. I stress experience for two reasons. The benefit of experience on an attorney's ability is obvious but what may not be quite so apparent is that the longer a person has been successful in a profession the more likely they are to be qualified and have a good reputation. You will know if you have the right attorney if you feel comfortable with the notion that you have placed your faith in this person and he or she shows an appreciation of that fact. Never forget to take your cues from how the judge treats an attorney.
    Getting the right attorney for any case is kind of a crap-shoot, but a few pointers can be as follows: Determine if the lawyer has experience in both criminal law and traffic law. Experience is probably the best indicator, hiring a lawyer good in estate or divorce law will not serve your purposes, you need a guy who is familiar with the law in this particular area. There are different motions and procedures that may apply in your case, so having a guy who knows what is what in DUI law is the most important criterion to look for in your lawyer. Also, a lawyer who practices in the court where your case is scheduled is as important, for he will know the prosecutor and judge, and be able to deal with them accordingly. If in doubt, check with the local bar association, they may be able to refer you to a qualified attorney in the county/city where the case is situated.
    You need to interview the attorney and decide if you feel comfortable with his knowledge and experience. If you have any doubts as to his ability or dedication to your case, you should probably find someone else.
    Ask him questions. Discuss your facts. How many trials has he or she actually tried? Can he give you former clients as references? Can he cite cases where he has reversed judges on appeal? If he lost trials, did he still keep his client out of jail? Does he have good relations with probation officers? Has he had a client on probation for DUI, had that same client pick up a new one, while still on probation, and still keep his client out of jail? Ultimately, a criminal lawyer's job is to keep his client out of jail. Stay well.
    The best way is to look at his or her credentials and ratings by various rating organizations. I rely upon Avvo and Martindale-Hubbell, but like Avvo better because it has a more understandable method of evaluating attorneys. I also like it because I have the highest rating available. Actually, I have it on both organizations. Beyond that, look to see if they have done a lot of DWI trials in the past. That would indicate they know what they're doing and can do whatever is needed to defend your case successfully if it comes down to a trial. Next, see how long they've been an attorney. That helps to determine how much criminal defense experience they may have. Then find out how long they've been working in the particular county in which your case is pending. It helps to know the DA's in the county because they will be aware of an active practitioner and usually have either a good or bad impression of him/her. Next, see how carefully the attorney listens to your case when you discuss it with them. See if they take notes. If so, all the better. If not,not so good. See how well they speak during your consultation.If they are a trial lawyer or any kind of decent lawyer, they should have a good ability to speak fluently because they may have to talk in front of a Judge and jury. Good luck.
    The question of how to choose an attorney for a particular case involves several issues. First, you should choose a specialist in the city or town that the case is pending. Next you should ask for a free consultation with the DWI specialists in your area either by phone or in their office. Then you should ask for a flat rate fee as apposed to an hourly rate so that you will know the total fee in advance and not have to take the lawyers word for how many hours he spent on the case. The average rate in New York City is twice the average rate in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, or Upstate, and Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island all have DWI lawyers who will know the DA and judges and not have to travel as far and so they will be able to charge less since they are in those courts every day. The lawyer should have at least 15 years experience and former DA's can be a good choice since they have a good knowledge of the courts and fellow prosecutors. Expect to pay at least $1,500 for a plea and $3,000-$5,000 for a jury trial. A bench trial is about $2,500-$3,000 for the average lawyer, but some charge much more. You can use Legal Aid if you have a first offense with a BAC under .10 since you will just plead to an Impaired, but having a private lawyer is always better if you can afford one. My fee is around $1,000 for a plea and $2,500 for a trial. I have 27 years experience and specialize in DWI and drug cases. Feel free to call for a consultation.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    You should personally interview several attorneys to find the best one for you. The best attorney for you will not necessarily be the best for someone else. I often advise friends out of my practice area to research and qualify several attorneys first. Make sure they currently have an active license and are not under investigation by the State Bar. Then they should interview the selected attorneys to find out which one they communicate with best. A client will spend a long time reviewing facts and various options with their attorney. Often the best result comes from the best exchange of information. Find a lawyer with whom you feel very comfortable talking with and you should increase your chances of being satisfied with the representation. Good luck.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    There's a ton of lawyers out there, no surprise, I'm sure. Chances are, if you take ten DUII attorneys with equal experience, you will probably get pretty much the same result with any of them. The best attorney you can probably find is one whom you are personally comfortable with, especially comfortable putting things like your driver's license, maybe your job, maybe your freedom in his or her hands. If you don't feel "right" about a certain lawyer, then he may not be the attorney for you, no matter how much or how little he cost or what his "win-lose record" is (and the best lawyers are usually not the ones who brag about how they've never lost a case, often times those guys only go to trial on cases they know they'll win and they plead out all the rest). It is also helpful if you have an idea about what you want to happen with your case, that's to say do you want a trial or a plea deal. I know many lawyers who are great at sweet talking the DA into giving their clients a great plea deal but can't try a case to save their lives. I also know lawyers who are trial animals but can't negotiate worth a damn. If you don't know what you want to do, ask around, consider your options, many lawyers offer free consultations, but as I said above, the bottom line is your level of comfort and confidence in your representation.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Sometimes you can get a referral from friends or family. Also there are rating services available Try Martindale-Hubbell. The final test is a personal meeting with one or more lawyers, The questions to ask are: How long have you practiced? Do you specialize in criminal law How much do you charge? Do you take installment payments Will you handle the case yourself or will it be handled by an associate?
    Komanapalli Massey LLP
    Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
    You could go to the criminal court and ask the bailiffs in each court who is the best, believe me, they know. Or, you could just hire us because we are the best at all aspects of criminal defense.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    Make sure to choose a DUI attorney who has experience working specifically in that field and also who works frequently in the county/parish where you were arrested. Try looking online for reviews and other recommendations.
    You chose someone you feel comfortable with; honesty in telling you reasonable expectations of outcome and costs. If you were caught driving under the influence, with blood tests confirming that, there are no magic wands to wave to make it all go away. Police are thoroughly trained and experienced in writing reports and testifying effectively. Their word carries more weight than yours with the DA and the jury, as they are neutral and you are not. You can always fight it and go to trial, but understand that prosecutors win about 95% of those trials. Money does not buy you success in this, no matter what you see on TV cop shows, unless you actually have a defense, such as a procedural or factual mistake by police [rare]. Plea bargains are the way to avoid trial,. It is a win for the DA and avoids you spending many thousands in fees at trial, at risk. You can believe whatever you want. You can pay someone to tell you what you want to hear. But, if you want to deal with this reasonably, feel free to contact me. Keep in mind a little free advice: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    Ask about their experience handling that type of case, and ask about their fee. You should meet with the lawyer in person to get a feel form him / her to see if that is someone you want to work with.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    I am a former police officer and specialize in DWI and traffic ticket defense. Check out my website and give us a call toll free for a no obligation, no cost consultation.
    View their website, google them online to see if they know their stuff, but most importantly, speak to them in detail to see if you are comfortable with the arrangement. Do they listen? Answer questions? Call you back? Cost? Experience with that Court and in general? These are the basics, but you are smart for asking the right questions here.
    Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs
    Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs | Craig Gibbs
    Make sure that the attorney has experience in representing clients for DWIs and understands all aspects of DWI laws.
    You need an attorney who practices the type of law you need and that you are comfortable with. You should meet with the attorney to see whether these things are true. If so, you have the right attorney. If your case is in Michigan in the Wayne, Oakland or Macomb County areas, then you may contact my office. With 24 years of experience, including being a former city assistant prosecutor, you would be in the hands of an attorney who practices criminal law and who has handled hundreds of DUI cases resulting in pleas, trials, and even appeals. After we meet, if you are comfortable with this experience and the cost, then you should hire my office to represent you.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    Look for attorneys who were former prosecutors. We can connect you with attorneys.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Find one like myself with over 30 years of experience, that returns calls, emails, and faxes quickly, and has a great appreciation for client care.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    You can research ratings on peer review ratings sites - AV is the highest (I have that), check Superlawyers.com, check local bar associations websites and the state bar website (often they have 'find a lawyer' search applications). You can interview several lawyers and pick the one you feel the best about. I have done DUI defense for 28 years all over the state. I would be happy to talk with you.
    You should seek out a State Bar certified criminal law specialist if possible. If not then an attorney who has handled DUI's for a number of years and actually has gotten results. In this regard however you should try to avoid "DUI mills", which are offices which so nothing but a high volume of DUI's at low rates and really do very little but plead the person guilty at the earliest opportunity with little investigation of the case. With criminal defense lawyers you really get what you pay for.
    Does He know what he is talking about? Is he experienced? Does he try to give you a realistic outlook on what is happening? These are the questions that you should think about when getting a defense attorney. Just like a doctor. Is he competent?
    You should check with family and friends. Some also find lawyers in the yellow pages or online. In any event, you should meet with prospective attorneys and ask about their experience. Good luck!
    There would be 3 things I would look at. First, is the attorney a trial attorney? Does he/she spend a significant amount of time in the courtroom? You hone your skills as a trial attorney by trying cases. If the attorney is never in the courtroom, how good is his/her trial skills. Second, does the attorney devote a significant portion of his/her practice to criminal defense? Third, does the attorney regularly defend DUI cases? Finally, are you comfortable with the attorney? You are hiring the attorney and he/she will be working for you. If you are not comfortable with the person, how can you have confidence in him/her?
    Seek out an attorney that has experience handling DUI cases. Ask how many years they have been in practice, how long have they been doing DUI cases, how many cases have they taken to trial. You can also tell if they are hesitant or don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the subject when you question them and inquire about potential consequences. Check for websites where there are client testimonials. Ask around to see if any friends or family members know someone who is good.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    You meet with and interview several DUI attorneys ... you will know when you connect with the right one.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You want to pick an attorney who is going to be straight with you with respect to your case and explain the ramifications . An honest attorney . Call me!
    That is a good question. You should focus on a couple things, including their experience defending DUI cases, successful case results, continues to take "MCLE" courses on DUI defense and forensic toxicology to stay on top of the field, and client satisfaction. See my website for an example. Also, a lot of it is how you feel after meeting with that attorney. Be wary of situations where you meet with one attorney, but then an attorney that you never spoke to is the one handling your case. DUI defense is personal, and you will want to be sure your attorney will be in contact with you regularly, return your calls, answer your questions, and spend time on your case in your defense, etc As a DUI defense attorney, these are the things that I focus on, which I feel make me a good DUI defense attorney. Best of luck in your search. If your case is in L.A. county, Ventura, San Bernardino county, or Orange county, feel free to contact me for a free consultation.
    Begin with selecting an attorney that knows what he/she is doing in court. See my website on how to find a good criminal attorney, under FAQ.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    Well, the most important factors would be that you need to have an attorney who has experience in the particular jurisdiction where your dui is pending; you need to have an attorney that you can trust, and you need to have an attorney that you can afford. I would definitely advise you to avoid all of those "lawyers" who send out advertising letters or postcards to everyone who is arrested. They are businessmen looking to make money first and foremost. I would suggest that you speak with more than one attorney to compare how each attorney handles the interview, what advice each attorney gives you and how much each attorney charges. I have handled hundreds of dui cases in the thirty three years that I have been practicing law and I would be happy to offer you a consultation if you are in my area. This site does not even tell me what state you are in, much less your geographical location.
    Justin Jones Attorney at Law, PLLC
    Justin Jones Attorney at Law, PLLC | Justin Blaine Jones
    One piece of advice would be to research the attorneys in your area that concentrate in the area of law specific to your legal situation. For example, if you have a family law issue you would want to find an attorney that has experience or specializes in that area of law. In addition, find an attorney you feel comfortable talking to and understands your emotions. Take notice how each attorney responds to your questions and whether or not they display genuine concern about your circumstances. Do not be afraid to ask for a way to contact previous clients for information on past experiences with the lawyer. A lawyer that provides good customer service by promptly answering phone calls and emails is an ideal lawyer. Hiring an attorney simply because you know them or a friend used them is most often not a good idea. All attorneys are different and practice or specialize in different areas of the law. A lot of attorneys will take your case simply because they are getting paid, regardless of knowledge or experience in the specific area of the law that you require effective representation. Your attorney should always have your best interests at the forefront. Some red flags that may indicate you should seek more qualified and effective representation include: your attorney does not keep you updated on your case, is not prompt to return phone calls or emails, requests large or unreasonable retainer fees, requests more money without providing adequate explanation of the progression of your case, is reluctant to pursue the best outcome for you even if it means more work for them. You should never feel like your attorney is not on your side. By doing your homework researching & contacting the attorneys in your area, you will be able to make a more knowledgeable & confident decision that should lead to quality representation and a more pleasant experience.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    There is no one way to know. How do you personally know when you've chosen the right doctor or other professional? You can use many of the same measurements. Is the attorney experienced and knowledgeable about DUI? Does the attorney timely respond to your requests for information? Are you comfortable enough to be completely truthful with your attorney about the questions he/she asks you? These are the types of things you should take into consideration.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    An experienced attorney will make no promises, thoroughly review your case and give you an honest opinion. Look for an attorney who has dui experience and who concentrates his practice on dui defense.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    The answer is always different for each person. You should always get the best attorney you can afford. However, it should also be an attorney you feel comfortable with. I suggest consulting a few, not necessarily just to see how much they charge but also to see what kind of vibe you get. Some things to consider: (1) is the attorney you consult with/hire the same one who represent you in court? (2) who will be doing the behind the scenes work, paralegal or attorney? (3) how accessible will your attorney be (I.e., will you speak to the paralegal or the attorney about your case)? Either way, you should consult immediately so that you don't miss that all-important 10-day deadline to preserve your hearing rights with the DMV.
    Law Offices of Carl Spector
    Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
    Make sure that you take the time to speak with several attorneys before deciding on which one to represent you. Before speaking to any of the lawyers make a list of questions and write them down. Ask the questions that most concern you and listen, really listen to not only the responses but how the responses are delivered. Try to chose an attorney that explains things and is on the same wave length as you are.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    Make sure they specialize in criminal defense. For example, I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense. Make sure they have done DWI trials as I have. This is tricky stuff especially if you took a breathalyzer test. Finally, you have to be comfortable with the person. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me.
    The Purnell Law Firm
    The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
    There are many things one should look for in their attorney, particularly in the DWI context. The most important thing to consider is whether your attorney is willing to go all the way with you in defending the case. This can be determined by talking to lawyers in the jurisdiction you are charged in to see if they know your potential attorney and have seen them handle these cases. This criteria goes hand in hand with the need for someone experienced in the area. Finally, you will want to hire someone you feel comfortable with personally. Many people hire attorneys for the skill set alone and find they are unable to communicate with them. This usually leads to a disastrous result in the attorney client relationship.
    He or she knows the law applicable to the facts of your case and, on top of that, promptly returns your phone calls and keeps you updated as the case progresses along towards trial, plea, or other disposition.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    When you have one that is willing to file motions to try and get it dismissed.
    A good lawyer will: help you to understand and focus on the issues of your case;help you to prepare for court proceedings in advance When interviewing lawyers, you should listen carefully to the answers provided. However, equally important to assess the lawyer's personality. How does he or she make you feel? Confident? Frightened? Is the lawyer willing to spend time with you and provide answers at the initial meeting in a friendly manner? How you feel about your lawyer may affect your ability to communicate effectively with that person over emotional and highly personal matters. After each interview, assess the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate. Did the lawyer listen to you? Did the lawyer provide enough information to make you feel comfortable that he or she knew the law and procedure in your state and county? Did you feel confident?
    Martindell-Hubble has a directory of attorneys that gives information on their area of legal practice and the rating that they have by other attorneys and judges. There should be a copy of this publication in the law library of the county courthouse.
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC | Kyle T. Green
    The right attorney is the one that you're comfortable representing you. You want an attorney that will represent your interests and be able to communicate with you. You want an attorney that knows DUI laws and has courtroom experience. Also, you want an attorney that will give your case the personal attention it needs.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A. | John C. Collins
    If they can't tell you what machine is used in your jurisdiction, how it works, potential problems with it, and who the certifying agency is, keep looking. If they know these things they probably know something that will help even if it is a refusal case. Also, look for someone that will talk to you at length about the specific facts in your case. After that, do all the research you can about them. At the end of the day they must understand it is your life (case) and they hold it in their hands. Talk to as many as you can prior to making your decision.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Ask yourself the following questions: 1) Will this lawyer personally represent you, or simply pass your case down or reassign it to someone else? 2) Does this lawyer specialize in DUI, or does he/she practice a variety of different cases? 3) Does this lawyer lure you in on a low fee, only to charge you more and more later?
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC | Daniel Hajji
    Attorneys who are experts in DUI law say that someone who isn't a specialist should consult one. Just as you wouldn't hire a criminal attorney to advise on business law or divorce. The reason for this is simple: DUI law is complex, it involves a lot of science, and a generalist cannot be everything to everybody. Knowing how to defend a DUI case involves considerable preparation, familiarity with the law, and knowing what motions to make and when. Getting a good evaluation is smart on your end. To fully defend a charge of drinking and driving, your lawyer must have a clear understanding of the substantive law and the penalties associated with the different offenses. A working knowledge of all the various sections is imperative to an understanding of what behavior is proscribed, how the statute is interpreted and enforced, and what the impact will be upon conviction. You and your lawyer should be familiar with the ever-changing case law interpreting the drinking and driving laws. We know the Michigan DUI laws inside and out. The Michigan's drunk driving law is a 22-paged statute which describes a variety of interrelated crimes and enhanced offenses ranging from 93-day misdemeanors to 20-year felonies. Because of the complexities that have arisen as the statute has evolved, defending drunk driving cases has become increasingly specialized. Choose your lawyer carefully. Sometimes cheap can be expensive. In analyzing a drunk driving case, it is not enough to review just the statute and amendments. Although a reading of the statute is necessary, it is somewhat difficult to understand without a contemporaneous review of the applicable jury instructions and relevant case law. By reviewing the jury instructions and relevant case law, a good defense attorney can better understand the meaning of each element of the offenses and the significance of any fact in identifying a critical issue. For the primary offense of OWI, the elements set forth in the jury instructions are: 1.Operating a motor vehicle; 2.On a highway or other place open to the general public, or generally accessible to motor vehicles; 3.Venue; (the name of the County such as, Macomb, Oakland, Wayne, Lapeer, Washtenaw, Livingston, etc; and the City or Township, such as Troy, Warren, Detroit, West Bloomfield, Novi, Waterford, Shelby, Sterling Heights, Royal Oak, etc. 4.and while under the influence of alcohol, and/or with an unlawful bodily alcohol level .08 grams or more. For a DUI/OWI charge in Michigan, the prosecution must establish that (1) you were operating a motor vehicle on a highway, another place open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles, or a parking area; (2) you did so while under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or a combination of these; (3) as a result of the drinking, you were substantially deprived of normal control or clarity of mind; and (4) you were unable to drive normally. Each individual element has been the focus of judicial interpretation, and a good lawyer should be aware of how the courts define the element in order to apply the substantive law to the facts. A DUI is not longer a minor offense. It is essential for you to hire the best DUI attorney you can afford so your case is as strong as possible.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney