How do I petition someone for immigration? 5 Answers as of February 27, 2011

My fiance and I are getting married and want to see about filing papers for him and my mom, what do I need and where should I start? How much would it cost?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
There are different options, for each of your relatives. For your mom, if you are a U.S. citizen over 21, you can sponsor your mother immediately with a petition for alien relative. If she is over the age of 72 she may be eligible for special travel visa, that will allow her to remain in the USA while you petition for her to get legal residency through adjustment of status. Otherwise she will have to get it through consular processing. In the case of your fiance, the best process in my judgment, is to file a K-1 fiance visa, which he can pick up at the US consulate in his country, come into the USA on his entry visa showing a K-1 on his I-94 entry document the US government will put on his passport, and you must marry within 90 days of entry. After that he can apply for adjustment of status. If you want the help of an experienced lawyer, feel free to contact me to hold a consultation, via phone or in person.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Once you marry file an i-130, after two years then the process begins. Cost $1100.00
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 2/25/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Addressing your mom first - this would depend on whether she is inside or outside U.S. (I am presuming you are a U.S. Citizen)- different petitions. For your fianc you would file a K-1 petition & adjudications on these petitions are taking between 4-8 months in my office. Feel free to give me a call for a free consultation, so I can go through the two different processes along with fees.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/25/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Assuming you are a U.S. citizen we would be happy to assist you with both processes. Are they in the U.S. or outside? If in the U.S., are they in status? If not, did they have an initial legal entry and overstay. Give me a call or respond to this email and I can advise you on the procedures, timing and costs. I can also give you a discount if you are doing both cases at once. If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Many things are unknown. are you a citizen? Is your fiance legal? If not, how did he or she come into the country? how long have you two met? Remember, marriage certificate alone does not prove good faith marriage for the purpose of immigration. It takes a lot to prove your marriage complies with the requirement of immigration law and it is your burden. You should hire a lawyer to help you. Your mom is another case. Again, it depends on what your status is right now. You are welcome to contact us for legal assistance. Best Wishes!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: