How do I petition my 20 year old girlfriend if I’m already 56? 5 Answers as of January 08, 2015

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
There is no visa category by which a U.S. citizen (which I presume you are) may sponsor or file for a girlfriend. If you and your girlfriend become engaged to be married (if she is overseas) or become married (if she is here in the U.S., having entered lawfully and with inspection), then you may be able to petition for her to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). You seem to recognize that your age difference is unusual; while that does not prohibit eligibility for a marriage-based case, you may expect the USCIS to use extra scrutiny and to require substantial documentary evidence in deciding whether it is convinced that the couple is living together in a bona fide marriage, and not a marriage just to get a "Green Card."
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/7/2015
Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
It depends on if she is in the US or outside the US. You will first have to marry and establish that it is a valid marriage. There will be a heightened standard due to the huge age difference. You will require more evidence than the normal couple. The process will depend on where your girlfriend resides, if she has prior entries, if she has a criminal history etc. Thanks.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/7/2015
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Get married and then hire a qualified immigration lawyer to take care of it.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/7/2015
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
Once married, you can apply for the green card. The age difference just makes it a bit harder at the interview. How you file will depend upon whether she is in the US or not.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/6/2015
Click to View More Answers: