How do I petition for residency for my fiance? 6 Answers as of August 08, 2011

My fiance and I are going to get married at the end of this year. Like most young illegal immigrant his parents brought him to the US and this country is all he's ever known. How do I go about in petitioning him to become a residence of the US? Do you also have to have a large amount of money?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
He will have to go through consular processing. With a well-crafted waiver, he should have good probabilities.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/8/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Please see an immigration attorney before you make any decisions. We need to ask your fiancee a few questions to find out if he will be eligible for any benefit.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/6/2011
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
I recommend you get a second opinion from another immigration attorney. If the gentleman has no criminal record, and if he has never left the United States, and if he is from Mexico, and if you have known him a long time and it would be extreme hardship for you not to be able to keep him, and if you can live with your folks or make it for the four months or more that he would have to be in Mexico, and if you have a few thousand dollars to hire a good immigration attorney
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Julian & Chin LLP
Julian & Chin LLP | Larry F Chin
This can be a complicated case. Your fiance's eligibility to get his papers depending on a number of factors. It is a common untrue myth that it is enough to marry a US citizen in order to adjust one's status. You do not need a large amount of money but you will have to meet certain minimum income requirements to be a qualifying sponsor. You should consult with an immigration lawyer to investigate your fiance's options.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
You can petition for him, but whether or not he can apply in the US or needs to apply in his home country depends on several factors. Where is he from? How did he enter the US? Did his parents ever have a case filed for them prior to April 30, 2001? Any other immigration violations? Any criminal arrests, charges or convictions?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: