How do I petition for my husband to come to the US after returning to his country? 5 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I met my husband in the US but he was forced to leave to his country of origin due to a family emergency. My husband and I married in Mexico and now he resides there and I live in the U.S. How do I petition for my husband to come back to the US legally and how long would it take given he had illegally resided in the U.S in the past?

If you are a US Citizen you have to file an I-130 petition and ask for immigrant visa processing. Since your husband was previously illegally in the U.S. he will need a waiver to return. The whole process can take up to 1 to 2 years. Moreover, if the waiver is denied he will not be able to return to the U.S. for 10 years.
You will use the three step consular processing system. Here is a link to my article on that: http://www.troylaw.net/?p=5 If your husband lived in the US illegally then he may be subject to a 3/10 year bar so you want to have his case fully analyzed before you start the process. In that instance, you would need to file for an extreme hardship waiver in addition to the regular process. If he is legally residing in a third country, then he can have his application processed there. If not, you should contact that US consulate to see if they will except him regardless. Otherwise you would need to process through his own consulate or find another to accept his case. Meanwhile if he is scared and has fled his own country, he may be eligible for asylum in the US. Please schedule a consult with a competent immigration attorney who specializes in that type of case!
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You will need to apply for him with a waiver in order for him to return.
many factors need to be known in order to assess your situation. If your husband crossed the border, you will have a problem.

Since your case involves your husband's illegal stay, simple understands what law will do is not sufficient, you should retain a lawyer to help you to get around the obstacles.
File a i-130 form.