How do I obtain US citizenship? 4 Answers as of April 14, 2011

My mom become a landed immigrant to Canada in 1980 when she married my father and has been living in Canada ever since. I was born in 1984 and am looking at doing univeristy studies in the USA and was hoping there is some type of citizenship I can get as my mom kept her US Citizenship. I've looked a little on line and from what I've seen it looks like my mom would have to have lived in the US around the time I was born. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. I currently live in Canada, I just put South Dakota as that is the State where my mom is from.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Naturalization law often depends upon the exact facts such as when and where your mother was born, where and when you were born, if your parents were married at the time of your birth, etc. I am happy to consult with you, if you want to email me directly or call my office, but I cannot analyze your case based on the facts presented!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Apply for a student visa to go to school in USA. The only way for you to be a citizen is if you were born in the USA. I'm guessing that your birth certificate is from Canada. Once in the usa legally then there are several other routes to obtain citizenship. Consult a top notch immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 4/14/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You lost your eligibility to apply for citizenship under the law. You had to be under 18, and unmarried, for your mother to sponsor you for automatic citizenship, as a citizen herself who lived at least 5 years in America, 2 years post-age 14. But you had to be under 18. That option is gone. Sorry.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The law varies depending on the years and marital status. I would need your mom's date of birth and place of birth. I need the time she spent in the US (For example from birth to month/ 1980???). I would need to know your date of birth as well and place of birth, and from when to when you lived in the US, if any. I need to know the date your mother married your father. I need to know your father's immigration status - was he ever in the US, and if so, from when to when. Something else which might be relevant; Get the place of birth, place of birth, date of marriage, and time (when to when) each of them ever spent time in the US for all your 4 grandparents. Then I should be able to make a determination. Thanks.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: