How do I obtain legal guardianship for a 17 year old? 3 Answers as of December 21, 2012

My daughter will be turning 17 jan 27th and has depression issues which are affecting the well-being of my two younger daughters. My nephew (30 yrs old) lives in Washington and I was hoping to send her to live with him immediately after her high school graduation. Her doctor also agrees this will be best for her; however, she needs a permanent legal gaurdian because she is only 17 and not mentally stable enough to be emancipated. How do I go about doing this? And what are the chances the court will approve this?

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
This would require a case being filed in court. She would need expert opinion, from a psychiatrist, that she is not able to handle her affairs. They would probably not approve an out of state guardian initially, but you might have to go with someone in CA.
Law Offices of Sherrie L. Davidson, LLC | Sherrie L. Davidson
I assume you mean your nephew wants a legal guardianship. I am not sure the reason he needs one since you are the parent and consenting to the move, unless he wants to add her to his insurance. This could affect insurance coverage currently in place. You need to check with the current insurance company regarding this if that is an issue. Otherwise, he needs to file for the guardianship in the place where she lives now or allow the move and the file after meeting the residency requirement of that state. There are many consequences that need to be considered before doing so.
Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
Chances are good if she agrees. Check with a family law lawyer in your city because they may be an issue with the proposed Guardian is out of state.