How do I obtain full custody of my sister? 10 Answers as of December 27, 2013

Our mom died when I was in high school, after that we lived with my grandma. Now that I have graduated college, how do I go about obtaining full custody of my minor sister since I'm her next of kin? My grandma has recently become too sick to give her the proper care.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
In Arizona you would file to be appointed your sister's guardian. Given her medical condition I would think you grandmother would be cooperative.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 12/27/2013
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
You need to file a petition in Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court and have all parties served with the petition including you father if he is still alive.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/26/2013
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
Does your grandmother agree to a change of custody, or do you anticipate having to fight her for it?
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 12/27/2013
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
She can sign a notarized statement giving you permanent custody.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/26/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Petition for guardianship with the local court.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 12/26/2013
Click to View More Answers: