How do I obtain a court order to access ex husband mental/ physical health records? 6 Answers as of January 30, 2014

We broke up 4 years ago and he will not stop harassing me verbally and emotionally. He was discharge involuntarily from the military and I'm wondering if he's suffering from PTSD. I want to know what is going on with him because his bizarre behavior affects our kids. Thanks in Advance!

Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
there may be grounds to ask for a modification of visitation and as part of the legal process ask for the records. Consult with a Lawyer who practices family law.
Never, for you to access them, research HIPPA rules. There are other legal remedies available to you, and a byproduct of some of them could be an order from the court for an in-camera review of his medical records under the best interest of the children standard, but the only parties that will ever review them are the Judge, and possibly the attorney's, but never you, unless the court finds cause to suspend his visitation or something similar based upon their review, and he then challenges that ruling and ask for a hearing then they could be possibly exposed at the hearing.
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
You can file a motion requesting an independent medical or psychological evaluation of your ex-husband, however you will have to have good cause for doing so. Usually parties request these evaluations to be done as part of a pending petition to modify custody. Depending upon how your children are being affected (if they are being affected detrimentally), you can consider filing the petition and proceeding. Then as part of the discovery process you can request records and compel him to release mental health records to you.
When you file a motion to reestablish a new parenting relationship to better protect the children, you can ask for those records to be produced as part of the discovery.
You don't unless you want to modify the custody order and then you can ask for them as part of that proceeding.