How do I obtain a court document to prove I am the custodial parent of my two minor daughters? 4 Answers as of September 08, 2011

My father passed a couple months ago. His employer provided a life insurance policy that divided funds between me and my two minor daughters. In order for me to obtain control over the funds due to my girls, I have been told I must provide a document from the court that shows I have legal custody or guardianship of my girls. I am married to their father and we reside in the same home. What do I need to do to obtain this document?

Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
If the children were born during the marriage and you are still married, then, by operation of the law, you and your husband have legal custody. A divorce is typically the only time the Court issues an Order regarding Legal Custody.
You retain a lawyer. Even though you have custody, you must get a court order to deal with their assets, which are not yours. Your father made a big mistake in how he worded his policy. He should have left a will with a trust, and had the insurance payable to that.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
It sounds like what you need is a document appointing you guardian over the property of your children. Georgia law requires that if children come into funds over a certain amount, they must have a guardian over their property appointed and an accounting of those funds provided. I would start by consulting with a lawyer regarding this case, and then by going to the probate court in your county to get forms required to appoint you as guardian over the property of the children.