How do I obtain the car title without court, or an attorney if it's in her name? 2 Answers as of January 23, 2017

Mother last bit to wrap up car title paid off at bank in her name. I'm her only son. Credit Union has bank title because her insurance paid off car loan, death/disability insurance. She had no life insurance or will. Her spouse precedes her in death but in her name only.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
A small estate affidavit available from the Secretary of State may do what you need to do.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/23/2017
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
The Credit Union will return the title to your mother's address in your mother's name. As an asset in your mother's estate, and without a will, the car will be distributed to her heirs. Since her spouse predeceased her her children will receive her assets. If you are an only child then you can send the title to the Secretary of State with a Small Estate Affidavit and have a new title issued in your name.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/23/2017
Click to View More Answers: