How do I not have my bankruptcy dismissed? 15 Answers as of March 23, 2012

I am behind on my payments 3-4 months. received letter of dismissal. I missed court date. How do I not have my bankruptcy dismissed. Or how do I have it reinstated ?

Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
You must file a motion to vacate the dismissal with the Court.
The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
If you missed the court date for the hearing on the Trustee's motion to dismiss, your case may already be dismissed. If not, call the trustee's office and ask to speak to someone about the hearing. Have a plan in mind to catch up the payments. This advice assumes you have no attorney. If you do have an attorney, call him immediately. If you have no plan to catch up the payments, you could possibly convert your case to a Chapter 7. It depends on when and why you filed your 13.
At this point probably refiling a new case is your only viable option.
Ferguson & Ferguson | Jackie Ferguson Graham
Courts usually won't reinstate a bankruptcy dismissed for lack of payments. You may have to refile.
You should respond to the motion to dismiss, and if you can not get the payment to the trustee to catch up, then make a motion to reduce your payment so that you can stay in bankruptcy.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    Pay into the chapter 13 plan.
    There are no do-evers in law. You made a tragic blunder in not having a lawyer, and an even worse one in ignoring a judge's order to attend court, and a third one in not dealing with a dismissal in a timely fashion. At this point, plan to see a lawyer and pay a lot more to refile than your first case would have cost if you even can refile.
    Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
    Sometimes it takes quite some time for the actual Dismissal Order to be entered after the Bankruptcy Court dismisses the case in open court. If you Chapter 13 has been dismissed already, you would have to immediately file (usually within 10 days) a Motion to Reconsider presenting new information to the Court.
    Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
    Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon | Jeffrey Solomon
    I assume you are in a chapter 13. The answer may depend on the local practice of the chapter 13 trustee. But you need the money to get current or to move to reinstate. You might be able to file a motion to modify chapter 13 plan to change the payments.
    If already dismissed then you need to petition the court to reinstate the case. If not dismissed yet then you need to pay the entire amount owed or attempt to modify the plan to suspend payments not made and increase future payments if possible to pay the amount you did not pay. Another choice may be to file a new case but there are technical consequences from doing that plus the cost may be greater. I hope you have an experienced attorney representing you. If not, you are probably not going to be successful in Chapter 13 anyway. Very few unrepresented or pro se cases are successful in Chapter 13.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Catch your payments immediately, assuming that your case hasn't already been dismissed. Or have your attorney see if they can amend your plan with you making a substantial payment towards your arrearage.
    You will need a motion, and probably a lawyer to get that done.
    J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
    If you were behind and missed the court date, you are probably already dismissed. You need to call the court and find out first. If you were dismissed or you weren't the only way to reinstate or keep from being dismissed is to make up your payments today.
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    Contact the trustee, maybe you can modify your plan to catch up. Or may be possible to convert to Ch 7.
    If you do not pay the amount owed there is not much that you will be able to do. You will have to refile the case.