How do I move forward in my child custody case? 1 Answers as of June 02, 2011

My daughter lives with her mother in Colorado, I live in Florida. I am supposed to have my daghter everyother weekend and every Wednesday. Since I have moved to Florida my ex-wife has always agreed to let my daughter come visit during the summer, and then changes her mind the day I plan to purchase a plane ticket. She is now telling me that if I want to see my daughter I need to go out to Colorado. The last time I tried to visit my daighter in Colorado my ex-wife only let me see her twice in the week I was out there, so I do not think that it is the est to visit out there. Not to mention me going to Colorado is a lot more expensive then flying my daighter to Florida. I am also starting to notice that my ex wife is starting to bad mouth me to my daughter, telling her that I left because of her and that I do no love her. I would really like to see my daughter, but I am not sure of how to move forward with this.

Your question implies that there is not yet any court approved Parenting Plan, so you need to pursue that. If you don't have a lawyer, now that you no longer live in Colorado you should hire someone because handling it yourself long distance is an almost certain road to failure. Once you get a permanent parenting plan that spells out specific rights and obligations, the problems you describe could be eliminated or, at least, you can enforce the plan by having your ex- cited for contempt. If you do have a Parenting Plan that only provides parenting time rules based on the assumption you are living in Colo, you need to file a motion to modify the Plan accordingly. Since you also don't provide the child's age, it is difficult to evaluate whether your ex-wife's refusal to allow the child to travel to Florida is or is not reasonable. In any event, the problems you describe have to be solved by a written Parenting Plan that spells out how things are supposed to work when you and your ex- cannot agree.