How do I lessen my child support? 1 Answers as of May 18, 2011

I am trying to find out if there is a way to extend the start of paying my child support for a couple of months or lower the payments for a couple of months. I was served child support papers, and was unable to make the court date. I wrote the judge a letter explaining that, explaining the arrangements between my girlfriend and I, and explaining how I supported my children. From the hearing came the judgment of my payments, which were taken from income that I had last year. At the time of the hearing I was not working, because I'm dealing with debilitating migraines, of which I'm trying to seek medical help. Two days ago I relocated closer to the children in Texas. I've started the process for employment and medical. Is there a way, to lower the payments just for the time being, or a way to extend so that the payments can start in 2 or 3 months, once I'm on my feet? Thank you for your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
Based on your question, it appears you did not go to court and did not file an answer, therefore you were defaulted. Is the order you got from the court a Final Order or a Temporary Order. If it is Final, and it has been less than 30 days, file a motion for new trial and do it now. Next time, do not write the court, hire a lawyer or show up yourself. If it has been over 30 days, you can try to file a Motion to Modify. Show the court your circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: