How do I legally protect my idea before I put it on a website? 5 Answers as of August 16, 2012

I have a very lucrative idea and want to create a website but want to protect my idea. Is there a way of doing this and where should I start?

Yang & Wang, P.C.
Yang & Wang, P.C. | Tommy Wang
Hi there, you should look into filing a patent, or multiple of patents.
Shimokaji & Associates
Shimokaji & Associates | Michael Shimokaji
One way to obtain protection is to file a patent application before putting the idea on your website. Another might be to file a trademark application if you have a brand name or logo you want to protect. A further way might be to file for copyright registration on your website.
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
There are five kinds of intellectual property and different ways to protect each of them. The problem with putting something on the internet is that it makes it really easy for anybody in the world to steal your ideas. So, you definitely want to have protection of some kind in place before launching your website. However, there is no cookie cutter approach to intellectual property protection. You need to put together a plan for what you will protect, how and when.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
The only way to protect your idea is to file a patent with the patent office. The US patent office offers a Provisional Patent application that has less requirements and gives you a "Patent Pending" status while you show the product and make changes. Before the one year you must replace the Provisional application with a non-provisional application that will later get examined. You should contact a patent agent or attorney or the visit the US patent office web site at www.uspto.gov.
Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
You should protect with at least a provisional patent application. There are a number of software such as ProvisionalBuilder from powerpatent.com that can help you do this inexpensively.