How do I leave a personal property to someone without putting her in the will? 16 Answers as of January 29, 2014

I want to leave my motorcycle to my ex-girlfriend because my daughter doesn't like motorcycles or my ex-girlfriend will try to take it and sell it.

You could add her to the title, but I?m not sure I like the idea.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Title it in your name and hers with rights of survivorship.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
You can add her name to the title. If you do not do that or leave it in a Will or Trust, under Michigan law, any motor vehicles will pass to your heirs, which would possibly be your daughter.
The will is the only guaranteed way. Within the will, you denote a Letter of Instruction for Personal Property. This separate document would identify your ex-girlfriend and the item (motorcycle) that you wish her to have.
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
You can always sign the title over to your ex-girlfriend prior to you dying. However, for the title to transferred over to her legally it would have to be memorialized in a will for the judge to transfer the title over to her after your death.
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    That's what wills are for. I suppose you could make a codicil and give it to the beneficiary.
    You give it to them. If you still want to use it, it make it subject to a life estate which gives you the power to use the vehicle until you die. You need to spell out who pays for its license renewal, etc. It may not be worth it to see an attorney to draw up a bill of sale so you may have to read a Nolo Press or similar book written in lay language as to what to put in to the contract. In general, it does not hurt to put too much in then too little.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    You could make her a joint owner of the motorcycle, with right of survivorship. There are some disadvantages to her in doing that, so discuss it with her. The trick is going to be possession. Your daughter might have it sold on Craigslist before your ex knows you're gone.
    I do not understand your question, please see an attorney.
    Douglas P. Barnes, A Professional Law Corp.
    Douglas P. Barnes, A Professional Law Corp. | Judith N. Douglass
    By putting title to your motorcycle in both of your names, it will automatically pass to the joint owner on title that survives you. You can easily take care of this at the DMV.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    A motorcycle has a certificate of title that confers ownership. Add the ex-girlfriend as a co-owner of the motorcycle. This will mean the ex-girlfriend will have to be involved in any future sale of the motorcycle.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    You really need to add it to the will or create a codicil (amendment) to the will, otherwise your wishes may not be carried out.
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    In Missouri, you can do T.O.D. (transfer on death) on the title. Please take the title to a licensing office and they will help you with the process. Upon your death, your ex-girlfriend will take a death certificate and title to the licensing office and the licensing office will issue a new title in her name. This process avoids probate.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    You can make a holographic Will that complies with your state's law. Best to hire an attorney to make a Will for you.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    You can create a Personal Property Memorandum if your Will refers to such an item. You can also leave it to her via the Certificate of Title.