How do I know my case status if I called the law firm only to find out they are not in business? 15 Answers as of April 08, 2016

Another lawyer sent me a letter to offer his services, for a fee. However, I'm only 3 more payments before my 3 year payment ends my case. I'm at a loss as to what to do. At 74 years old, this situation is creating a considerable amount of stress.

Bjork Law Office
Bjork Law Office | Attorney John P. Bjork
Most bankruptcy attorneys will help you look up your case and see if there is anything to do. You could also call the Bankruptcy Court and ask what the status of your case is.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
You can usually look up your case on the Trustee's website to see what the status is - how many payments are left, who has been paid, etc. There will be some work required to finish it up, however most of the work on the case is at the front end and was already done. Please find a knowledgeable local bankruptcy attorney to assist you in completing the case.
Saedi Law Group
Saedi Law Group | Lorena Saedi
I would suggest you contact your trustee and the bankruptcy court clerk's office to see who the attorney of record is. Since you paid that firm to complete your case they are legally required to do so. If they refuse you may need to contact the State Bar of Georgia regarding a refund of some fees paid.
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
You can call the trustees office and they can tell you the status of your case.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Answer: After you have completed the next 3 payments just call the trustee and ask for a status. Make sure you have completed the financial management course before you call. Please note that you will also have to file for 525 with the bankruptcy court after the payments are all finished.
    You hired an attorney not a law firm to handle your case. Which attorney did you deal with? Which attorney signed as your attorney when the case was filed? You need to find that attorney. The Ohio Supreme Court has a directory of all attorneys licensed to do business in Ohio (I'm sure other states also have these but it might not be their supreme court, look it up online). Find out where your attorney is now and contact them. If they refuse to do the work that you've already paid for, file a complaint with the US Trustee's office and state's legal disciplinary body (in Ohio, it's the Ohio Supreme Court's Office of Disciplinary Counsel or the local bar association) and report her for not completing your case.
    Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
    Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
    Always make your BK payments!!! If you haven't taken the second credit counseling course, do that too. Assuming no other issues, the court may grant a discharge of the debts if you do these things. If all else fails contact the trustee on your case. They may steer you in the right direction. Good luck.
    Make you last 3 payments. I don't know what jurisdiction you are in but you need to file "Debtor's Certification of Compliance under 11 U.S.C. 1328(a) and Request for Discharge." (the exact language may vary a bit). It is an easy form and you should find a "check to box" version on you local court Web site. Take the original to the court for filing. So I don't think you need a lawyer to finish this.
    You can call your Chapter 13 Trustee and ask them if there is anything more you need to do to obtain your discharge.
    I am guessing you are in a Chapter 13, but it sure would have helped if you had mentioned this important fact. Once your payments are completed, your bankruptcy discharge does not just happen. A certificate of compliance needs to be filed with the court. While is is possible to complete this document yourself and file it with the court, you may want to hire a lawyer to make sure this document is prepared correctly. And if you have not completed your second class, called financial management, you need to get a move on, complete the class and make sure the certificate gets filed with the court.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    You may contact your chapter 13 trustee and they should be able to give you a status if you do not have an attorney of record. Note that once you complete your plan payments you will be required to file additional paperwork and noticed it out. You may need legal assistance to do this.
    If the firm is gone and you are close to done with a chapter 13. You may be able to handle to the closing paperwork yourself. If not, you will need to retain another law firm to handle the closing paperwork. It is possible that if the law firm is closed, it assigned the cases it had to another firm which would handle the closing paperwork. You may need to contact the State Bar of Nevada to learn if that happened.
    Telephone your Ch. 13 Trustee. Have your case number at hand. Someone in the Trustee's office is assigned to your case, and he or she can answer any questions. You might mentionif it is sothat your lawyer's firm appears to be out of business. (If the T'ee doesn't know already, s/he should know now.) Good Luck.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You can contact the chapter 13 trustee's office and they can tell you if anything else needs to be done in your case besides the payments. It's possible that you don't need any assistance to finish it up.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You can call the trustee. How it normally works is that you need to file one more document once you are done.