How do I know information regarding my inheritance after the will executor has died? 9 Answers as of September 30, 2014

My uncle was executor of my grandmother's estate when she died. He never let me know how much she left me nor gave me (with several requests from me) an itemized list of funds or property she left me; not even a bank statement. He has now died and I want to know how much I had and where it went? Any and all information will be appreciated. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Executor is someone appointed by the court (and named in a will.) Therefore I assume that there is an open probate proceeding. Go to the Superior Court in the County of death, and index her name, and get a case number. With that, you can go on-line to the Court's web-site and see where the administration stands. If you are lucky, he will have kept grandma's assets separate from his own. You'll have to have a new administrator appointed by the court. You are going to need a lawyer who does estate work.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
You should check with the local county court to see if a probate was ever started. You might check for both your Grandmother and your Uncle's names. If you don't see anything you might check with the local County Recorder's office to see if anything has been recorded recently under either name. You may need to get a local attorney involved to really find out where things stand.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Go look at the court file.
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
You should go to the probate court clerk's office in the county where your grandmother resided. Ask to see if a probate was opened for her estate. If so, you can review the file including the original will. IF the probate is still open a successor will need to be appointed to conclude your grandmother's estate. If your uncle did not open probate for your grandmother, it will be extremely difficult to ascertain any information. However, you should follow your uncle estate closely, as information pertaining to your grandmother's estate may become know through his estate.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Was probate ever filed? Did you ever get notice of probate? How long ago was this? I recommend you speak directly with an attorney. Most give free consultations and there are several questions that need to be answered in order to give you meaningful advise.
    Go to the court house in county where grandmother died and ask to see and examine the file; also check online with court records for that county and her case may be online for your review. Also do the same for your uncle. You may discover information that will cause you to need an attorney to represent you to obtain your inheritance if any.
    Law Offices of R. Christine Brown | R. Christine Brown
    If there is a probate open with your local superior court, go to the courthouse and look at the file. If there is a probate estate, but no executor, you will need to file a Petition To Appoint A Successor Executor (if 1 is named in the Will) or a Petition to Appoint a Administrator With Will Annexed (if there is no alternate executor named in the Will).
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    Your grandmother's estate should have a successor executor appointed, when the original executor has passed away. You did not mention if the will filed for probate and the court appointed him executor of the estate. Further, since your uncle has passed, you may have a claim against his estate for what he has done or failed to do with regard to your inheritance from grandma. You need to inquire and see if a probate has been filed in his estate.
    Go on line as to the Probate court in the county where she resided and see if a Will was filed for probate. Not all counties put this information on line, so you may need to go to Probate court to see if there was a filing and do they have anything in their file. If so, the Will will be in the file. If not, you have to find out from his relatives and friends if he had an attorney who might have helped him out or been hired by him to handle the estate and what happened to his papers as the Will might be included. Check who now is the owner of any property she owned as that person should know about the Will since they inherited from it.