How do I know if there is a warrant for my arrest for fighting? 43 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I am scared I am going to get arrested for fighting. We were at a friends house and his brother was also there, but doesn't live there. The more he drank, the more aggressive he got. He finally came at me and I defended myself. I hit him first but I was sure he was walking towards me to hit me. He got stitches in his ear and has filed a police report. Am I going to go to jail over this? I have witnesses who will corroborate my story. How do I go about finding out if there is a warrant for my arrest?

You could either wait and see if the police contact you or arrest you or you could contact the police precint. You should hire an attorney if charges are brought. You may have a defense of self defense.
You should retain an attorney who can contact the warrant desk of the local police headquarters to see if there is a warrant for your arrest. If there is a warrant your attorney can arrange a surrender on the arrest warrant with the detective handling the charge.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
The courts or police would know whether a warrant has been issued for your arrest. If the warrant is issued, you should turn yourself in to be arraigned. If you are ultimately charged, you would be presumed innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor would have to prove their allegations beyond a reasonable doubt. You have a right to council. I'd recommend you retain an attorney to assist you with this matter.
Fabian & Associates, Inc.
Fabian & Associates, Inc. | Stephen G. Fabian, Jr.
Check the Court records, or call the Sheriff.
Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
Call the Warrant Desk of your local police department and ask if there is a warrant out for you. You can also hire a competent criminal defense attorney to check on this for you if you are scared of the answer.
    Check the website of the local sheriff and see if there is a warrant list. If so, check for your name. If not, you can call but beware, if there is a warrant and the sheriff sees your caller ID, well, expect a visit.
    You or an attorney on your behalf should check in with the criminal clerk in the jurisdiction the warrant would potentially be issued in. They can give you that information, then it can be dealt with accordingly if a warrant is in fact issued.
    Typically there would not be a warrant. If the police decide there was an assault, they will forward a copy of their report to the local prosecutor. The prosecutor will review the police report to determine if there is probable cause to believe you are guilty of assault. If the prosecutor files charges, you will receive a summons from a court. From what you are saying, you would be asserting self-defense. The question will be whether you had a reasonable fear of being assaulted immediately before you acted. The jury will consider whether your use of force was reasonable, necessary and proportionate to the level of assault used by the person who threatened you. Things they may consider are the guy's actions, your own knowledge about this person's reputation for violence and his size, strength and height compared to you. You should hire an attorney immediately to begin working on your defense.
    You should hire an attorney to represent you. The attorney can check on charges, and then you can formulate your defense and discuss how this can be resolved. You may need to go to trial to resolve this.
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber | Michael R. Garber
    Contact the police dept and sheriff's office, warrant divisions, and ask.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    Contact the law enforcement agencies in the area and see if a warrant was signed against you.
    You or your attorney could ask the police or prosecting attorney if a warrant has been authorized for your arrest.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Contact the county where the offense occurred and check to see if you have a warrant.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    If you hire an attorney the attorney can find out for you.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Call local law enforcement and ask if there is a warrant. If so, turn yourself in and explain what happened.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Call the sheriff's department in the county where you live, and ask them
    You could contact the police in your jurisdiction, or the city where the offense occurred. Merely filing a police report does not mean you are being charged, and in any case, if charged, you would be notified by the police before a warrant was issued. You have a good defense, in my opinion, hire an attorney only if you are arrested or asked to come into the station for an interview.
    August 24, 2011 If a police report was made, contact the department that made the report and ask if there is a warrant for your arrest. You can then turn yourself into the docket room and be processed for the charge and bonded out.
    Jon M. Carter, Attorney at Law | Jon M. Carter
    Please tell me in which County you expect charges may be filed. I will check for you and advise you if there's a warrant. Also, if you have witnesses to support you - and they verify that a reasonable person in your position would have felt an immediate threat of serious injury from this person - you might avoid prosecution through "lawful use of force in self-defense." Here's the OK statute: ( Look at number 3.) Chapter 20 - Assault and Battery Section 643
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    You can check on whether there are any charges or warrants at the police station where the report was filed.
    Call the clerk's office of the court in the locality where the incident occurred or the law enforcement agency in that area and one of these two should be able to verify it.
    Have your attorney contact the local DA office to inquire. Hell need you ID info to do so. Do not initiate contact yourself to avoid arrest on the spot. Usually, police contact you for questioning before filing charges, but not always. If they do, exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to police or ANYONE about the case except an attorney. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    It depends on which county you live in. In Orange County, you can log onto the Orange County Sheriff's Department's website and enter personal information to find out if there is a live warrant issued. You could possibly get picked up for assault and battery. If great bodily injury is involved, your charge will be greater and could be a felony. You should contact an attorney even though you have yet to be charged with an offense. If you have an attorney, detectives may not question you about the incident. If you don't have an attorney, remember to assert your right to remain silent. Don't say anything to the police even if they are good facts for your defense. Your right to remain silent cannot be held against you in a jury trial or other proceeding.
    You can call the court or police agency where this occurred. Of course if there is a warrant or potentially I would recommend that you conatct an attorney so they can search for you.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    You need to go to any superior court criminal clerk window in the county where it happened and present your name and date of birth the clerk will be able to tell you if you have any warrants. You can call it to the court and take care of it or hire an attorney to handle it for you.
    Depending upon how soon this incident occurred. Generally, if charges are filed, and you have no criminal record, you will receive a notice to appear in court and respond to the charges. This is an arraignment where you admit or deny the charge. Sounds like you may have an issue of self defense. You need to consult with an attorney.
    You can usually call the warrant office to ask. If they refuse to tell you, there may be a warrant or you may want to consult with an attorney.
    When the warrant is issued you will either receive a letter giving you a date to appear in court or the police will come to you and arrest you. If either of these things happens, do not talk about the incident with anyone other than your attorney. Tell the police that you want your attorney with you during all questing and that you have nothing to say about the incident until he is with you. Call me for help.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Call the local court and ask if you have a warrant.
    You go to the sheriff's dept. and ask. If there is a warrat, then you will be taken into custody, and your fear will be over. With witnesses in pocket, you should retain an attorney, so you can beat the case.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to have them find out if there is an active warrant. Your attorney can make plans to have you turn yourself in, assuming there is a warrant, to avoid the inconvenience and embarrassment of having it done at work or if you are pulled over on a routine traffic stop.
    The police will contact you. It is not self defense to hit someone first.
    Talk to an attorney. The attorney can call the court and find out if there is a warrant for your arrest.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Hire an attorney to find out for you.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    Hire an attorney and have him look into the matter.
    Sometimes, the sheriff's office will tell you. Sometimes that is if you go to the sheriff's office to check. That of course ends in an arrest if their is a warrant. Sometimes, the court clerk will tell you and would also tell you if there is a complaint filed. If cops have not tried to talk to you, it may be that nothing is going to happen. I must admit that there might be some concern about a dude getting stitches. You might want to hire an attorney to at least talk to one about this in more detail than is appropriate here.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Call a local bondsman to see if there is a warrant. You might also want to go ahead and talk to a couple of lawyers to line someone up in the event that you do get charged. Just because you hit first does not mean that you are guilty of assault. If you reasonably believed that you had to act in order to protect yourself then you were acting in self defense. Get the names and contact information for all of the witnesses to provide to the lawyer you finally decide upon in the event you are charged. If there is a warrant, you can make a no-arrest bond by posting the bond, getting fingerprinted & photographed & then be released.
    You can contact the police department and ask the investigating officer if he asked for a warrant. You can also contact the county prosecutor's office and ask if there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    In most situations like yours, if there are to be any criminal charges, they are issued by a summons requiring you to appear in court on a certain date. A charge can be issued by a warrant, so if you are concerned about that you can contact the warrant office of the county jail where the incident took place and ask them to check your name for any active warrants. As to whether you will receive jail time, that is dependant on the circumstances of the case, your prior record if any, and several other factors, assuming you were convicted or plead guilty to a charge at some point.
    Mark C. Cogan Law Offices | Mark Cogan
    Anyone facing potential criminal charges is well advised to get a capable criminal defense attorney on board at the earliest possible time. The earlier in the process that you engage the assistance of a defense attorney, the better for you. It makes no difference whether the police have an arrest warrant. In most cases, the police have no need for an arrest warrant in order to take a person into custody. We are available to help you, if desired.
    You can call the court that is in the district where the incident occurred. The clerk should be able to tell you if there is a warrant or not. You should also hire an attorney before you incriminate yourself. Expect DA investigators to be knocking on your door with requests for a statement. NEVER talk to anyone without your attorney present!
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    It is unlikely there is a warrant. If the case was referred for prosecution, you will receive a summons in the mail from the court if and when a charge is filed.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney