How do I know if my juvenile record is sealed when I fill out applications? 10 Answers as of February 24, 2013

When I was 15 I was arrested for shop lifting and was charged with a fine I paid that in full and then when I was 16 I was arrested for assault 3 and spent time in juvenile detention and served my time I am almost 22 now and wanted to know if this would affect applications.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
Checking the court records should reveal if your record was sealed.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 2/24/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You should get a Certificate of Disposition from the clerk of the court to see if the cases were YO, sealed, dismissed, violations, or ACD dismissed. Anything that's sealed or dismissed will not show up in New York.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/20/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
I would call the court that took care of these things and ask if the record is nonpublic.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/20/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Juvenile records should be sealed and not on your permanent criminal record. The only sure way to know is to apply and see if they appear. I doubt they will.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/20/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Get a cori
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 2/20/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    Juvenile records are sealed.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/20/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    State laws may differ. In Minnesota, any felony crime committed by an individual age 16 or greater is a public record and would show up on a background check.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 2/20/2013
    Maryam Jahedi Law Firm
    Maryam Jahedi Law Firm | Maryam Jahedi
    If your cases were treated as youthful offender (you were adjudicated as a youthful offender) then all the records automatically were sealed and kept as confidential.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law | Randy M. Lish
    In most states, you have to file a motion of some type to get the record sealed. It is not automatically sealed.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Employers do not have access to juvenile arrest records.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/19/2013
Click to View More Answers: