How do I know if my family is living her legally? 6 Answers as of September 02, 2011

I am trying to find out if there is any way for me to find out if someone is here illegally because I think my stepdad is lying to me and my mom about his brothers visa. He came here 7 years ago on a religious visa and was denied citizenship because he lied and said he was living at the church. Since then he has been renewing his visa however we do not think he has done it lately and we have no way of finding out. He is living with us and we do not want to get in any trouble. He is working under the table and sending all of his money back to India and recently my stepdad asked me to marry him so he could become a citizen, which I of course said no to. I need help with this situation but I have no idea where to even begin. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
You can call the USCIS or ICE. But be aware that once they find out he's illegal, they might deport him.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/19/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
No, you cannot find out this information due to US privacy laws. If you have already decided not to marry, then there is no other issue for you to be concerned about.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/19/2011
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
There is no general place where you can look an individual's name and determine their immigration status. The only sure way to determine an individual's immigration status is to contact Immigration & Customs Enforcement, but this trigger an investigation and his possible deportation/removal from the U.S.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/2/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
His being illegal or not should not affect you. Why don't you ask your Mom to talk to him about it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/18/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I don't know the answer to that one other than to ask the person if they are here legally. I have never been asked this question before. If you suspect that he is not here legally and dislike him so much that you would want to turn him in, then there is a number you can call and advise ICE that there is a person without a valid or current visa living in your house and go from there. If you really want the number, then go to and it is there. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/18/2011
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    It may not be possible for you to determine this. A person is allowed to do a freedom of information act request with DHS, however without his consent, they will not be able to release most of the information to you. I agree, that forced marriage to someone is not only unacceptable but also completely illegal and can subject you to imprisonment for several years and a fine. Tell your father to mind his own business!
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: