How do I know if a misdemeanor will show up on record for background checks? Posted on July 20, 2011

My sister green card holder for the past 3 years and is a college student. She has been caught shoplifting for the First time in Wal-Mart for 20$ and it has been 3 weeks now, police were there and no citation or anything has been given to her. Her college id was used to pull up her state id, the store told her in 2weeks she will receive a civil fine of 50$. In the beg she has been told she may have a picket but when she left they told her (the security people) that if she does it again that when she will be in trouble. After googling and browsing online our worry raised. She got the civil fine in the mail of 50 $ she should pay it? Since no citation has been given to her from the police does she have to expect any criminal consequence? How can she know if she would have to expect that, does a background check can show her that? We are worried we don’t know what to expect .