How do I know if it is copyright infringement? 5 Answers as of June 15, 2011

If I take information from a website, and make an iPhone app and use that information in my app, but credit the website as a source, am I breaking any laws?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
possible, depends on the information and if your use if permissible. I would suggest contacting one of your local attorneys to provide an analyses. Good luck.
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
There's not enough detail in your question, and what information you have needs clarification. You should contact and engage an IP attorney, and provide specific details. Nonetheless, use of the copyright of a third party, even if credited, may be an infringement and/or criminal act unless the use falls within certain limited exceptions.
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
It depends on what the information is. If it is proprietary information protected by copyright than using it without the owner's permission would be copyright infringement. One thing to look for is whether there is a copyright notice on the work. A copyright notice is an clear indication that someone believes the work is their intellectual property and they are likely to have a copyright registration. You can search the Copyright Office to see if the owner [if you know their name] has a copyright registration issued on the work. If you want to protect yourself from a suit for copyright infringement, I recommend that you consult an intellectual property attorney for an opinion.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Probably illegal. Giving credit does not avoid infringement if you copy material from another web site. You need to consult with counsel because otherwise you have risk of a big problem.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
It depends on what you took from the website - if it is just information - then NO.