How do I know if I was wrongfully terminated? 1 Answers as of April 08, 2011

I know we are employed at will but my boss of over 13 years let me go due to "want to change direction". I don’t believe him since he had another person replace me 2 days after I was let go. He had been planning this out for awhile. I didn’t have any performance issues. I have not been documented, suspended for anything as our policy handbook states would happen. I didn’t get a performance review in over 3 yrs. His only excuse he told me was that he feels I don’t have the same passion for my job as I did several years ago & he terminated me. I don’t have passion is his own personal opinion and he has never told me that before until I was let go. Is this wrongful termination?

Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Marcelo Dieguez
The short answer is that absent other circumstances, the situation as described by you would not constitute wrongful termination under the California definition of the law. Although it may be morally wrong or unfair, it does not appear to be unlawful.